[comp.windows.x] X server on a 785?

Wilson.Harvey@MAPS.CS.CMU.EDU (07/18/87)

We have a small network of microvaxes, all running X.  We also have a vax
785.  The 785 is used for general purpose applications, as well as for
storing files from the microvaxes.  All the machines can communicate with
one another over the ethernet.

What we'd like to be able to do is have an X server run on our 785 so that
we can run X applications from that machine on any of the microvax displays.
Is this possible?  I looked at the Xlib documentation and nothing jumped out
and grabbed me.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Am I off on the wrong
planet?

Thanks!

	Wilson Harvey
	wah@maps.cs.cmu.edu

bob%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (07/19/87)

In article <8707172135.AA11127@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> Wilson.Harvey@MAPS.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>We have a small network of microvaxes, all running X.  ...  What we'd
>like to be able to do is have an X server run on our 785 so that we
>can run X applications from that machine on any of the microvax
>displays.  Is this possible?

Well, to strictly answer your question, yes.  You can get one of DEC's
old Unibus workstation interfaces and run the VAX X server on your
785.

But what you really want to do is to use your 785 as an application
server, and have those applications talk to the X display servers that
are already running on your MicroVAXen. And yes, it's pretty easy and
that is what makes X a `network-distributable window system', or
whatever the sales glossies say :-)

First, take your X library sources (Xlib, XMenu, Xt, etc.) and make
them on the 785.  Then take all your X client code (xterm, xload, GNU
Emacs, xfu, xbar, ...), make it all, and run it with an argument that
specifies what display server it is to drive (something like `xterm
baz:0').  Remember to tell baz `xhost mumble' where mumble is the 785.

We run X servers on Suns and uVAXen and HP Bobcats and Renaissances
and IBM RTs and a Macintosh II; and X clients on all the above plus
Pyramids and an Encore Multimax and a VAX.  Soon I hope to put clients
on the local Cray (high drool factor :-).  Since all you're doing is
encapsulating the X protocol in IP packets and throwing them hither
and yon, the clients don't care what sort of server they are talking
to, and vice versa (for the most part); nor whether the client is on
the same machine as the server.  Enjoy!
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob
 soon: bob@aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu