[comp.windows.x] X on the Macintosh

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (07/28/87)

In article <1831@vax135.UUCP> ths@vax135.UUCP (Thomas Speeter) writes:
>whether there is an adaptation of X that can run as an application on
>the Mac.
The macintosh is multi-tasking enough that you could implement light-weight
processes to run the server (most Macintosh Forth systems provide light-weight
processes for example.)  You could even implement time slicing through the
Macintosh's Vertical Blanking Task Manager.

You could even arrange the Mac implementation of the X client library
so that if it discovered it was running under Switcher it could run as
a Switcher background task, so that you could run multiple X clients in
Switcher background, with the X server managing the Macintosh screen. (and
possibly other clients talking to that same X over the serial ports.)
It would be difficult to override the graphics system calls of arbitrary
Macintosh applications to let them use the X server though.

All of the above would be a lot of work though.

Now, I know the next part will sound like a flame but it really isn't:
What X applications would you like to run on a macintosh?
i.e, in what application areas is there a tool that runs under X that is
better than an <$100 tool for the Macintosh? What makes it better for you?
Do you use a group of applications that work together as smoothly as the
Macs'?

I only use X because Sun has a decent lisp (I use lucid) that can talk
to X, and there is no equivalent lisp for the Macintosh.

please E-mail me your answers, and, if there is any interest, I will repost.
--- David Phillip Oster            --My Good News: "I'm a perfectionist."
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --My Bad News: "I don't charge by the hour."
Uucp: {seismo,decvax,...}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu