[comp.windows.x] Periodic X

whm@arizona.edu (Bill Mitchell) (08/05/87)

I posted a note a couple of weeks about how when running xterm on a VAX
using a 3.2 Sun as display server, everything would occasionally die and
I'd end up back at the Sun's shell prompt.  There was some speculation
that this is due to not mousing enough and indeed, I often go for a long
period of time without mousing.  But, I've often gone for an hour or so
of typing with no mousing and no problems and then turn around and have
X die three times in a hour (pretty frustrating when you've got a few
windows up, are logged in on several machines, and have an Emacs or two
cooking).

I run xinit with no arguments, putting up a local xterm window and then using
one or more rsh xterms as required.  When it goes belly-up, the rsh xterms
disappear, taking their window them, the local xterm disappears in a similar
fashion, and then the shell prompt appears.

So anyway, I'm still looking for a solution (and still a little hesitant to
start pushing X locally), so if you've got any new ideas, I'm all ears, even for
things like putting three rings of colored sand around my Sun.

					Bill Mitchell
					whm@arizona.edu
					{allegra,cmcl2,ihnp4,noao}!arizona!whm

whm@arizona.edu (Bill Mitchell) (08/06/87)

auto-logged out, but I checked our VAX shell and there's no autologout in it.
jkh@violet.berkeley.edu suggested this in response to my second query and this
time I thought to check my Sun xterm shell and sure enough, there was an
autologout=60 in there.  Setting autologout=1 would make things disappear just
like usual, so silly me, autologout looks like the culprit.

It appears if you've got a program running in the foreground, you aren't
auto-loggedout.  Thus,

	rsh vax xterm ...

sticks around all day, but if you

	rsh -n vax xterm ... &

the autologout gets you.

bob%aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (08/06/87)

In article <1856@megaron.arizona.edu> whm@arizona.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>... when running xterm on a VAX using a 3.2 Sun as display server,
>everything would occasionally die and I'd end up back at the Sun's
>shell prompt.  There was some speculation that this is due to not
>mousing enough ...  So anyway, I'm still looking for a solution...,
>so if you've got any new ideas, I'm all ears, even for things like
>putting three rings of colored sand around my Sun.

Well, in Ohio we don't use colored sand so much, so we had to find
other possibilities :-).  The not-mousing-enough speculation was mine,
but was inaccurate.  I posted <3802@osu-eddie.uucp> on 14 Jul
describing our results, but perhaps it didn't make it to you.

The cause in our case was a locally popular extended csh that had an
autologout option that was set "on" by default.  If a cshe has no
activity for an hour then it will exit.  For a user on a dumb terminal
this was fine, because it meant he had walked away and forgotten to
log out, and it solved part of the `untamo'-type problem.

However, in a window system where some windows lie fallow for long
periods of time (specifically the console xterm) it wasn't so helpful.
So our solution is for users of cshe to "unset autologout", at least
in the console xterm.  There are a lot fewer frustrated X users around
here now.

I don't know if this will affect you because the csh extensions are
local and you may not have something similar.  But at least in our
case, the cause was not that the user wasn't mousing enough, so you
might want to look elsewhere.  Perhaps colored sand isn't a bad idea -
but be careful of the cooling fan.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob
 soon: bob@aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu

wesommer@ICARUS.mit.edu (William E. Sommerfeld) (08/07/87)

In article <3911@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@ohio-state.ARPA (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>The cause in our case was a locally popular extended csh that had an
>autologout option that was set "on" by default.  If a cshe has no
>activity for an hour then it will exit.  For a user on a dumb terminal
>this was fine, because it meant he had walked away and forgotten to
>log out, and it solved part of the `untamo'-type problem.
>
>However, in a window system where some windows lie fallow for long
>periods of time (specifically the console xterm) it wasn't so helpful.
>So our solution is for users of cshe to "unset autologout", at least
>in the console xterm.  There are a lot fewer frustrated X users around
>here now.

Sounds familiar.  For a while, most of the terminals here at Athena
were vt100/vt220 or equivalent, wired up to timesharing 11/750's.
Someone put in the autologout option into /bin/csh (along with a bunch
of other options, such as filename completion, etc.) for their benefit.

Those who regularly used X (in general, those who knew what they were
doing) generally tripped over the autologout problem pretty early,
realized what had happened (or had it explained to them), and fixed it
by adding an "unset autologout" to their .login file.  As workstations
started to become more common, their use by naive users increased, and
there were a lot of bug reports of the form "The system just logged me
out without warning -- all my windows went away".  It was then decided
to remove this option.  The real problem was that it took a long time
for the new /bin/csh to get propagated to all the systems.

					- Bill