[comp.windows.x] A couple of questions.

jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/19/87)

I've wondered about this for awhile, might as well post it..

In xmh, you can select things in the top (subject) bar in order to mass
delete, move, etc messages and to select messages you want to read out of
sequence. This is good and makes sense. However, what good is being able
to select portions of the message body? So far I've tried everything and
can't seem to be able to cut/paste between xmh windows, which would seem
to be the only rational use for it. Cutting and pasting would be very
useful when forwarding and replying to messages. Am I missing something?

I miss my title bars. A lot. I know that this should be a window manager
function. Would anyone mind if I hacked it into uwm? Would this be in keeping
with the current uwm interface? I somehow think not. Wm already does
this, but it sucks dead rats through a garden hose.

Suggestions?

				Jordan Hubbard

weissman@decwrl (09/19/87)

In article <5138@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K.
Hubbard) writes:
>However, what good is being able
>to select portions of the message body? So far I've tried everything and
>can't seem to be able to cut/paste between xmh windows, which would seem
>to be the only rational use for it. Cutting and pasting would be very
>useful when forwarding and replying to messages. Am I missing something?

You certainly seem to be.  Clicking with the middle button should
paste in the last chunk of text that was ever highlighted (in either
an xterm or xmh window).  Typing Meta-Y does the same thing.  To cut
the selected text, type Ctrl-W.

- Terry Weissman	weissman@decwrl.dec.com		...!decwrl!weissman

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (09/19/87)

The text widget needs more work in the toolkit, but it is
possible to perform the cut in xmh by typing ^W after making the selection
(a'la' emacs).

As to making uwm do title bars, sure thing; it just doesn't belong in
applications (where they will all be different).  Making it a
global option is probably the right thing to do.
				- Jim