[comp.windows.x] Where did the NULL key go?

angel@umigw.MIAMI.EDU (angel li) (09/28/87)

On X11 and a VAXstation II, using xterm, I need to know how to send
a NUL character. I am tired of typing M-x set-mark.  Another related question,
how you does one change the keymap? On X10 I had the accent grave key
mapped to ESC and control-` mapped to `. Shades of Versaterm...
--
Angel Li
University of Miami/RSMAS

Internet: angel@miami.miami.edu			UUCP: hao!umigw!angel

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (09/29/87)

You can get NUL via control-@, but various people (including me) like to
see it via control-space as well.  I have tentatively made the following
change to lib/X/XKeyBind.c to allow this; in the absence of extreme
flames, it might even stay this way.

*** /tmp/,RCSt1018673	Tue Sep 29 08:17:57 1987
--- XKeyBind.c	Tue Sep 29 07:57:10 1987
***************
*** 1,6 ****
  #include "copyright.h"

! /* $Header: XKeyBind.c,v 11.35 87/09/08 20:17:55 toddb Exp $ */
  /* Copyright 1985, 1987, Massachusetts Institute of Technology */

  /* Beware, here be monsters (still under construction... - JG */
--- 1,6 ----
  #include "copyright.h"

! /* $Header: XKeyBind.c,v 11.36 87/09/29 07:56:36 rws Exp $ */
  /* Copyright 1985, 1987, Massachusetts Institute of Technology */

  /* Beware, here be monsters (still under construction... - JG */
***************
*** 12,18 ****
  #include "keysym.h"
  #include <stdio.h>

! #define HAS_CTRL(c)  ((c) >= '@' && (c) <= '\177')

  struct XKeytrans {
  	struct XKeytrans *next;/* next on list */
--- 12,18 ----
  #include "keysym.h"
  #include <stdio.h>

! #define HAS_CTRL(c)  (((c) >= '@' && (c) <= '\177') || (c) == ' ')

Rick.Busdiecker@H.GP.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP (09/30/87)

    Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 08:24 EDT
    From: Robert Scheifler <RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU>
    Subject: Where did the NULL key go?
    To: hao!umigw!angel@husc6.harvard.edu, xpert@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

    You can get NUL via control-@, but various people (including me) like to
    see it via control-space as well.  I have tentatively made the following
    change to lib/X/XKeyBind.c to allow this; in the absence of extreme
    flames, it might even stay this way.

Does this mean that Xkeymap is gone?  I hope it's not necessary to do C
hacking just to change some keys around.

			Rick

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (09/30/87)

Much of the need for the .Xkeymap file has been subsumed by the new
keyboard stuff (i.e. interchanging keys is now easy to do on a per
server basis, though we need some utilities to do it...).  The ability
to bind strings to keys, however, did not get reimplemented, as the
keyboard stuff changed twice between May 1 and Sept. 15.  There is
a good chance it will be reimplemented for the next release.

Work toward utilities to support all the new keyboard hackery possible
would be appreciated...  Any volunteers?
			Jim Gettys