[comp.windows.x] 9x15 font

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (09/30/87)

    Date: 29 Sep 87 22:56:26 GMT
    From: jumbo!jg@decwrl.dec.com  (Jim Gettys)

    This bug report/fix is courtesy of Ram Rao, Digital UEG...
			    - Jim

    VERSION:
	    X11 release 1
    SYNOPSIS:
	    The 9x15 font supplied does not work with a terminal emulator
	    The comments in the file fonts/bdf/9x15.bdf indicate that the
	    font is intended for use with a terminal emulator.  However,
	    since the width of every character is specified as 10 pixels,
	    whereas the glyph is 9 pixels wide.  This causes problems to
	    the terminal emulator.
    REPEAT-BY:
	    xterm -fn 9x15 will exhibit this problem

[From me to Ram:]

From: ram@decvax.dec.com

You are right.  The only "problem" is the unsightlyness of the text.
I complained because my GPX X server was implementing the old image text
semantics and hence leaving glitches in the xterm window.
I implemented the new image text semantics today and the
problem went away.  (Due to some oversight, I did not learn about the
change in image text semantics till yesterday.)

However, I still suggest the 9x15 font should have a width of 9.  It looks
much nicer that way.

    FIX:
	    In the file fonts/bdf/9x15.bdf replace ALL occurences of the line

		    DWIDTH 10 0

	    by the line

		    DWIDTH 9 0

The fix is a reasonable one, in any case.