[comp.windows.x] Smart Window Managers & WM_CLASS on Root

ellis@cadillac.siemens.COM (Ellis Cohen) (10/03/87)

> In article <8709302226.AA01553@audi.siemens.com>,
> ellis@cadillac.siemens.COM (Ellis Cohen) writes:
> > If there is a "real" window manager present, a client shoould change
> > size by only changing WM_NORMAL_HINTS (or WM_ZOOM_HINTS), not by
> > doing an explicit XConfigureWindow.
> >
> > If you absolutely feel you must make your application work with dumb
> > window managers, then do the XConfigureWindow BEFORE you change
> > WM_NORMAL_HINTS (or WM_ZOOM_HINTS).
>
> Is it possible for the tiled window manager project to suggest a
> way for an application to automatically determine if a smart window
> manager is running?  Using a special flag when the application is
> invoked to specify "simple window manager running" is non-intuitive
> to novice users.  Perhaps a standard root window property could be set
> by an intelligent window manager which could be checked by the
> application when it starts.
>
> 					David Harrison
> 					(davidh@ic.Berkeley.EDU)
> 					(...!ucbvax!ucbcad!davidh)

We set the WM_CLASS property of the root as

    res_class = "Tiled_Window_Manager"
    res_name = "Siemens RTL Tiled Window Manager, Release 4.0"

There is no standard yet about this; presumably there will be
after a group is organized to make such standards (after the
Consortium is formed).

For now, I would simply recommend that all intelligent window managers
(those that use the hints) also fill in the WM_CLASS property on the
root.
This will allow applications to forego Configures and the initial Map
if the WM_CLASS property on the root is set.

[ Actually, by root, I mean the window within which the window manager
  runs.  See my recent posting about PARENT_WINDOW. ]

Ellis Cohen
Siemens RTL Tiled Window Project
(609) 734-6524
ellis.cohen@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu