[comp.windows.x] X11 nuances

wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) (10/08/87)

  my current list of "huh?"s after beating on x for a while, is as
  follows.  some may be bugs, others may be my inexperience with X11.
  (real bugs have been posted in separate bug reports.)  i'm running
  on a Sun-3/50 (or 3/160C) under 3.4.

  1. geometry. i would expect that specifying a geometry of =+1+1
     would blast a default size xterm in the left-hand corner.  no, i
     still have to hit the left mouse button to get the window.  if
     this isn't a bug, why is this so?

  2. uwm. X10 uwm honors the autoselect variable (menus come up with
     the first item already selected).  this is documented in the X11
     uwm but does not work.  is there something i am missing to get
     autoselect to work, or is this a bug?

  3. xinit. i had gotten used to ed moy's new xinit that reads the
     file .Xinit.  i see that this xinit is not the one distributed
     with X11.  are there plans to incorporate ed's fixes?  if not,
     have you ported your xinit to X11 yet, ed? can i get a copy? ;-)

  4. kbd_mode. the command kbd_mode is unnecessary and can be removed
     from the distribution.  just use sun's own "setkeys reset".

  5. fonts. is there someone working on converting the sun fonts to
     X11's bdf format?  (ucb's X10 newfonts.)  i miss screen.b.14.

  6. fonts. with so many available, one would think that it would be
     easy to find some that are useful for text.  nope.  perhaps a
     survey of fonts used should be made.  thus unused fonts could be
     pruned, and missing fonts could be added.

  7. bell.  my bell worked under X10, but no longer.

  8. xterm. what's his name was right, i miss my titlebars also!

  9. xterm. the auto-repeat is much too slow.  are there any reasons
     why it should be so slow?  otherwise, i'll fix it and send in the
     diff.  (who or what would a fast auto-repeat screw up?)

  10. xterm.  i'm depressed since the left mouse button no longer cuts
      and pastes in one operation.  this was a VERY valuable feature
      when making (and screwing up) in-line shell scripts.  the script
      could be easily repeated by banging on the left mouse button a
      few times, fixing the bad line, and banging on it again. the new
      right mouse button has dubious functionality.

  11. xterm.  negatory on the status line.  it's documented, in the
      termcap, but doesn't work for me.

  12. keyboard mappings.  i had gotten used to C-- mapped as C-_.
      makes a quick undo in emacs.

  13. Xdefaults.  my .Xdefaults contains the line:
	xterm.BodyFont:		vtsingle
      there are blank lines and comments (beginning with #) in the
      file. this file worked fine for X10.  X11's xterm does not
      recognize this line.  what's the scoop?

  ho, if i got input on some these, i would be a happy camper!  i am
  not afraid (and i have some funding) to fix some of these problems
  (but don't want to fall prey to the duplication of effort syndrome).

						--bw

wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) (10/08/87)

  forgot one thing:

  14. xterm.  i also miss the autoraise.  has it been determined that
      this also should be a function of the window manager?  whew, uwm
      is going to be going through some growing pains.

						--bw

jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/08/87)

In article <8710081838.AA17204@milk1.istc.sri.com> wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) writes:

>  my current list of "huh?"s after beating on x for a while, is as
>  follows.  some may be bugs, others may be my inexperience with X11.
>
>  10. xterm.  i'm depressed since the left mouse button no longer cuts
>      and pastes in one operation.  this was a VERY valuable feature
>      when making (and screwing up) in-line shell scripts.  the script
>      could be easily repeated by banging on the left mouse button a
>      few times, fixing the bad line, and banging on it again. the new
>      right mouse button has dubious functionality.

Hear hear! I was going to bring this one up earlier, but decided to eyeball
the code first. I use both X10R4 and X11 still, and frequently get the cut &
paste buttons confused. Why was it changed? I never heard any complaints
about the old assignments.. Eyeballing the xterm code reveals a lot of
strange structures (all labeled "bogus this" and "bogus that") that *seem*
to offer a selection between DEC's opinions and MIT's, but there's no really
intuitive way of changing them around or selecting a particular key/button
set. I looked for obvious #define's that might select a particular bogosity,
but found nothing. Who is, um, responsible for the current version of xterm?

Incidently, I miss my title bars too, but they really should be in the window
manager. Since I like uwm, and uwm doesn't manage by reparenting (the way "wm"
did), it's become a little more difficult than I thought to hack them in.
Still, I think I should have something reasonable up in a little while.

It also comes to mind that a little more real-estate oriented management
could be added if uwm reparents and starts adding frobs to your windows.
This seems to violate the "spirit" of uwm somewhat, and I'm wondering
of title bars would just be a good place to stop. Any suggestions about
the semantics of specifying additional frobs and their behaviour via
the .uwmrc would be welcomed. The existance of title bars is currently
specified for everybody with a "labels" boolean keyword. I can't think
of an easy way (should it even be desirable) to label only those windows
that wish it.

					Jordan Hubbard

weissman@decwrl (10/09/87)

Bill,

Believe it or not, there are a lot of good things on the tape.  It's
just that some of them are hard to see...

>  my current list of "huh?"s after beating on x for a while, is as
>  follows.  some may be bugs, others may be my inexperience with X11.
>  (real bugs have been posted in separate bug reports.)  i'm running
>  on a Sun-3/50 (or 3/160C) under 3.4.
>
>  1. geometry. i would expect that specifying a geometry of =+1+1
>     would blast a default size xterm in the left-hand corner.  no, i
>     still have to hit the left mouse button to get the window.  if
>     this isn't a bug, why is this so?
>
>  2. uwm. X10 uwm honors the autoselect variable (menus come up with
>     the first item already selected).  this is documented in the X11
>     uwm but does not work.  is there something i am missing to get
>     autoselect to work, or is this a bug?

Sounds like bugs to me.  Frankly, less effort was spent on porting uwm
than might have been, because <Religion ON:> uwm is a fairly silly
window manager anyway.  Much of the point of X11 is that you can write
window managers with much better user interfaces than uwm's.  The 'wm'
program included on the tape (in the 'demos' directory) is a toy
example of this better interface; what is needed is a more muture
'wm'.  <Religion OFF>

>  8. xterm. what's his name was right, i miss my titlebars also!

Get a real window manager that provides title bars... :-)  But
seriously, that really is the way that title bars should be
implemented: as part of the window manager.  That way, you don't have
to put the title bar code into every application you write...

>  10. xterm.  i'm depressed since the left mouse button no longer cuts
>      and pastes in one operation.  this was a VERY valuable feature
>      when making (and screwing up) in-line shell scripts.  the script
>      could be easily repeated by banging on the left mouse button a
>      few times, fixing the bad line, and banging on it again. the new
>      right mouse button has dubious functionality.

Sigh.  I (mostly) agree.  The trade-off that was made here was to make
xterm's cut&paste be more consistant with the toolkit's text window,
and therefore consistant with toolkit applications (like xmh).
(That's the Xt toolkit; I don't speak any of the others.)  Just so you
don't think everything's lost, have you noticed that if you
double-click the left button, you select a word?  And triple-clickin
selects a line.  I find this real handy, though I still miss the old
left-button.

I believe the original idea was that you would be able to customize
your xterm's button-bindings, so you could (with a little work) get it
back to the old way.  I don't know if this was actually done; somehow,
I doubt it.

>  13. Xdefaults.  my .Xdefaults contains the line:
>	xterm.BodyFont:		vtsingle
>      there are blank lines and comments (beginning with #) in the
>      file. this file worked fine for X10.  X11's xterm does not
>      recognize this line.  what's the scoop?

Sigh.  This can lead to a complicated subject, one that I've always
had trouble explaining in person, and have no hopes of doing at all
electronically.  Suffice to say that the Resource Manager that is now
part of Xlib has completely re-vamped the way that .Xdefaults is
parsed.  It's much more powerful, but I don't think it's real well
documented anywhere, though you might try looking for it in the Xlib
manual.

Anyway, I believe that changing this line to

xterm.Font: vtsingle

will work.  The resource changed its name to 'Font' because that's
what it's called everywhere else (e.g., the toolkit).  Please note
that capitalization of the left-hand side is now important...

>  14. xterm.  i also miss the autoraise.  has it been determined that
>      this also should be a function of the window manager?  whew, uwm
>      is going to be going through some growing pains.

Yes, that belongs to the window manager.  In general, anything that
you do that affects your relationship with other windows on the
display should be handled by the window manager.  This includes
resizing, moving, raising, lowering, iconifying, or de-iconifying your
window.  Fortunately, X11 provides more power for window managers than
X10 did.

>  ho, if i got input on some these, i would be a happy camper!  i am
>  not afraid (and i have some funding) to fix some of these problems
>  (but don't want to fall prey to the duplication of effort syndrome).
>
>						--bw

Hmm.  Based on what I've said in this message, the most useful thing
you could do is provide a good window manager for the world.  That
would provide some of the features you miss in xterm, and it would
certainly be one way of fixing uwm complaints...

- Terry		weissman@decwrl.dec.com		...!decwrl!weissman

P.S.  This message really deserves some disclaimers: namely, this was
written at night from a dial-in character cell terminal (ick), so
everything's from memory.  Also, any opinions expressed are my own,
and I reserve the right to revoke them at any time...

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (10/09/87)

Better that a window manager grow than having a mishmash of applications,
some of which automatically raise themselves, and some of which don't.
Hacking all those window management functions into all the applications
is a much worse option....

grunwald@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (10/09/87)

With regard to Sun fonts under X11.

there is a program in util/vtobdf which translates Sun fonts to BDF format.
I managed to convert most of the sun fonts, although it barfed on a few.

I'll add a couple of gripes: the Apollo distribution is very hard to
installed. This is primaily the fault of Apollo.

	+ /usr/lib/cpp has great difficulty with long lines. When you
	  do a 'make Makefiles' it will chop long lines into several
	  lines. I eventually did the makefiles on a Sun & shipped them
	  over

	+ in util/imake.includes/Apllo.macros, there is a define:

	#define Xapollo Xapollo

	this should really be:

	#define XapolloServer Xapollo

If a special versiono f CPP is being used, it'd be nice to include it in
the distribution -- these aren't my Apollos & I'm not certain what rev their
software is, but I know that they're not too old -- one would expect the
distribution to come up on a stock system.

BUT! I'm not whinning -- love them X11's. Keep up the work! Rah. Go team.
(after all, they did admit it was a beta version)

dirk grunwald
univ. of illinois

deboor@dill.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (Adam R de Boor) (10/09/87)

>  5. fonts. is there someone working on converting the sun fonts to
>     X11's bdf format?  (ucb's X10 newfonts.)  i miss screen.b.14.

on hoser.berkeley.edu there is now source for an X10 client called x11font
(berkeley/x11font.c) that will take the name of an X10 font and print out
a bdf file for the font. You then have to compile it and x11font has to be
run on a B&W X10 display...

>  7. bell.  my bell worked under X10, but no longer.

Sun's working on this. A guy here at berkeley implemented it and I sent the
fixes to Sun...

>  9. xterm. the auto-repeat is much too slow.  are there any reasons
>     why it should be so slow?  otherwise, i'll fix it and send in the
>     diff.  (who or what would a fast auto-repeat screw up?)

Go to the file ddx/sun/sun.h and change the constant AUTOREPEAT_DELAY to be
20.

>	xterm.BodyFont:		vtsingle
>      there are blank lines and comments (beginning with #) in the
>      file. this file worked fine for X10.  X11's xterm does not
>      recognize this line.  what's the scoop?

Xterm now uses the resource manager, which is case sensitive. I'd advise that
you go into vi and type something like

    :%s/\.\([^.:]*\)\([ 	]*\):/.\l\1\2:/

to lower the first character of every default. Assuming you also capitalized
each word in the default name, you should be fine...

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (10/10/87)

> >  7. bell.  my bell worked under X10, but no longer.
> >
> Sun's working on this. A guy here at berkeley implemented it and I sent the
> fixes to Sun...

I hope it uses the KIOCCMD "ioctl" with the KBD_CMD_BELL and KBD_CMD_NOBELL
commands; the "/dev/bell" hack is not the correct way to ring the bell, it is
not the official way to ring the bell, and there is no guarantee that it will
not work in future releases or with future hardware.  The KIOCCMD "ioctl" is
even documented in the KB(4S) manual page.
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com