[comp.windows.x] X.V11R1: lib/X/ks_names.h

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (10/20/87)

    From: jonah@uwocsd.UWO.CDN
						The source file
    "X.V11R1/lib/X/XStrKeysym.c" tries to include "ks_names.h" which is not
    to be found anywhere under "X.V11R1/" or "/usr/include/".

This is destined to be one of those once-a-week queries that clog the
bitwaves.  "make depend" either at top-level or in lib/X will create this
file, as will "make ks_names.h" in lib/X.

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (10/20/87)

In article RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:

> This is destined to be one of those once-a-week queries that clog the
> bitwaves.  "make depend" either at top-level or in lib/X will create this
> file, as will "make ks_names.h" in lib/X.

Well, instead of expecting it to be a weekly item, how about getting
on top of the situation?  How about writing a file that contains a list
of complete instructions that people should follow, or maybe a list of
"standard X installation errors" ? How about having the original
untouched makefile echo out something to the effect "Before doing
anything else, please read the installation instructions, which may be
found in the directory nnn"?  What about an installation script?  Or,
or, (last one, I promise), how about doing it Usenet Style, and post a
list of the Most Commonly Asked X Questions?  Any one of these could
be done without too much effort, (said the man with no real knowledge
of the X system)...

This isn't intended to be a flame, however I think that there are some
things like the original question that could be handled better (less
clogged bitwaves) if a little planning could be used.

And of course, the obligatory "I don't know a thing about X" question:

Any way to speed up scrolling on a color X11 window (on a sun) so that
it doesn't remind me of pulling my own teeth by hand?  :-)

						Jon
--
Hm-m-m-mm?  I thought this place was for Brontosaurusses only!?!!?!!

wohler@milk1.istc.sri.com..istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) (10/21/87)

Jonathan D. writes:
>Robert Scheifler writes:
>
>> This is destined to be one of those once-a-week queries that clog the
>> bitwaves.  "make depend" either at top-level or in lib/X will create this
>> file, as will "make ks_names.h" in lib/X.

[diatribe deleted, although a weekly posting of the most commonly asked
X questions would be a good idea --bw]

>Any way to speed up scrolling on a color X11 window (on a sun) so that
>it doesn't remind me of pulling my own teeth by hand?  :-)

  see the first sentence in robert's answer above.  ;-)

						--bw
						wohler@istc.sri.com