[comp.windows.x] getty under X?

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (10/17/87)

Can anyone tell me how to run a getty under X?  I have a bunch of sun
3/50's doing basically nothing but functioning as X servers and I want
the X screen saver when noone is logged in.  Actually, there are a
number of other reasons for wanting the X to live above the
getty/login.  Short of hacking init source, (We're binary only), can
anyone suggest a solution short of an infinite shell loop spawned into
the background from rc?

xoxorich.
----------
Windows and Icons and Mice!  Oh my!

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (10/18/87)

4.3 BSD and Ultrix both have support for running window systems from
init; under Ultrix, for example, one just logs into a window; the server
and an initial process are maintained by init.

You might pester Sun to adopt the 4.3 changes to init, getty and login
which support window systems; there is nothing X specific to the
support; it should be equally useable for NeWS.
				- Jim

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/18/87)

In article <1724@oxtrap.UUCP>, rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how to run a getty under X?

I don't know enough to comment about "X" but this is how I made a program
that logs people out if they leave their systems idle to long:

init runs "my program"
"my program" forks itself.
the "parent" version of "my program" exec(s) getty
getty continues normally....

The child version of "my program" uses kill w/sig 0 to make shure
	getty or login or whatever [that had the parent process number]
	is still running.  If not, it suicides.
If so, it stat(s) the tty line.
If now - stat is greater than x, it kill(app signal)(s) the parent
	process id, and suicides after the "parent" process dies.
otherwise it sleeps, and then loops.

You might try a variant of this with whatever "X" does, possibly allowing
a "backside" rondivous between the "spy" and the main invocation of "x"

Disclaimer: it's just a thought...

Robert

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (10/18/87)

In article <1724@oxtrap.UUCP>, rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how to run a getty under X?

On the [very high] chance that my other opsting was not quite what you
were asking.... as in you don't have something like inittab to change
the "program to respawn" definition use this hack:

mv /bin/getty /bin/gettyreal
ln "my program" /bin/getty
"my prog" execs getty <see previous posting>

As a very basic warning!!!!!!!!!!  Do be shure you have at least one
terminal logged in as root continuously durring the instalation
and testing [do test it!] of this hack.  I have known people who
tried this, had it not work when they logged out, and then couldn't
log back in without a system restore done from firmware.  Potentally
VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NASTY.

rob.

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (10/22/87)

In article <141@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
>In article <1724@oxtrap.UUCP>, rich@oxtrap.UUCP *I* write:
>> Can anyone tell me how to run a getty under X?

Well I had hoped to avoid "replacing" getty...  So what I did was kick
off an infinite (shudder) shell loop from rc.  After playing with the
screen timeout options (sun, DON'T DO ANYTHING BUT THE DEFAULT!!!
DON'T EVEN CONFIRM THE DEFAULT WITH A SWITCH!!!)  it seems to be
running ok.  ie,

while true; do xinit getty ... -- X ... ; done

(xterms sometimes "miss" uwm and end up in the process table forever,
but...)

This is X12.  Hah! Had you going there for a second! X11.1.

rich.
Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer.