[comp.windows.x] Xtk on Sun 3/50 does it work?

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (10/27/87)

Alas, the Xtk toolkit is almost  completely broken,  especially on Suns.
It is riddled with null pointer bugs,  and the  only Widget  type that I
have yet made work properly is Label.  There is no  documentation of the
interfaces or  behaviour  of  the  exisiting  Widget   types,  which  is
essential for anyone wanting to use it for developing applications; what
documentation there is is aimed  at those  wishing to  develop their own
Widget types.  ButtonBox  works for  laying out  Labels (sometimes), but
fails miserably to lay out the other types of Widget I've tried.

Officially, I  believe  the  basic  toolkit  is  in Beta  and the Widget
selection is  in  Alpha.   What  this means  is that  everyone out there
should be trying to use it, and fixing the bugs they find, and reporting
the fixes to "xbugs".  Remember,  the only way to make X.11 a success is
for everyone to pitch in and help.

	David.

PS - note to whoever is responsible for Xtk:  Its  really very difficult
to decide if something is a bug if there is  no description  of what, if
anything, the thing you suspect the bug is in is supposed to do.  PLEASE
post to the net anything you have in the way of  documentation about the
existing widgets - what resources  they use,  what they  are supposed to
look like, what their limitations are; anything at all would help to get
the toolkit debugged.

den@tropix.UUCP (David E. Nichols) (10/27/87)

Environment: XV11R1 on monochrome Sun 3/50, SunOS 3.2

I am really confused as to what is going in with the Xtk in V11R1.
In the lib/Xtk/clients/ directory there are a few programs that
(I am assuming) are supposed to demonstrate different widgets.
Whenever I start up one of these programs I get several lines of:

Bad source value for 'String' to 'Color' conversion.
Bad source value for 'String' to 'Pixel' conversion.

But eventually a window is created.
The one I am most interested in is the xbuttonbox.
After all of the bad conversion messages I get a window with black
background that seems to have about 5 rectangles that quickly get
covered over with black.

Is the V11 Xtk usable? Are we waiting for fixes?
Surely someone else has come across the same thing, or am I doing
something weird here?

Please help my confusion.

Dave Nichols
{ihnp4,ritcv,rochester}!tropix!den

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (10/29/87)

     Whenever I start up one of these programs I get several lines of:

     Bad source value for 'String' to 'Color' conversion.
     Bad source value for 'String' to 'Pixel' conversion.

     But eventually a window is created.

The most common cause for this problem is a missing or invalid rgb
database; check to make sure /usr/lib/X11/rgb.{dir,pag} exist (and check
server/include/site.h to verify the pathname wasn't changed).  The -co
server command line argument will also point it at a different database.

As to the overall status of the beta 0.1 toolkit, there is a lot
of cleanup work that is going on (null pointer bugs, etc.) and a lot
more is needed.  We will do what we can to make patches available
before the release 2 tape, but mass mailings of patch files will not
be practical due to the volume.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (10/29/87)

In comp.windows.x (<8710291421.AA28436@LYRE.MIT.EDU>), Ralph R. Swick writes:

>     [In reference to "Bad source value for 'String' to 'Color' conversion
>      messages.]
>
>The most common cause for this problem is a missing or invalid rgb
>database; check to make sure /usr/lib/X11/rgb.{dir,pag} exist (and check
>server/include/site.h to verify the pathname wasn't changed).  The -co
>server command line argument will also point it at a different database.

Nope.  The toolkit programs ALWAYS give these error messages when run on
a monochrome machine, even if the rgb database is there.  The problem is
that there's code in lib/oldXrm/XrmConvert.c that ought to be #ifdef'ed
out.  Comparing lib/oldXrm/XrmConvert.c with lib/Xrm/XrmConvert.c will
show you which lines.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder