[comp.windows.x] GraphOn X terminals

tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU.UUCP (10/28/87)

Apparently there is a company called GraphOn Corp. that has
developed a terminal with a builtin X server (models GO-250 and GO-235).
Can anybody supply more details about this
product (performance, cost, etc) ?

I don't even have the address or phone number of the company.
I would be interested in getting those as well.

			   Yuval Tamir

Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) (10/29/87)

> Apparently there is a company called GraphOn Corp. that has
> developed a terminal with a builtin X server (models GO-250 and GO-235).
> 			   Yuval Tamir
> Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
>     UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

There was a one paragraph blurb in the new products section of the October
UNIX/WORLD (p. 132), quoted below:

GraphOn has implemented X Windows Version 11 on its GO-250 terminal.
Features such as local raster operators, large amounts of off-screen storage,
and a locally-polled mouse significantly enhance the product offering.
Graphics terminals may be a cost effective way of providing industry standard
window environments in multiuser computer solutions.

GraphOn Corp.
Campbell, CA
408-371-8500

Rich Goldschmidt
Computer Consoles, Inc.
(703) 648-3336
rlgvax!golds@uunet.uu.net or uunet!rlgvax!golds or sun!sundc!rlgvax!golds

rw@beatnix.UUCP (Russell Williams) (10/30/87)

In article <8710280709.AA20167@neptune.CS.UCLA.EDU> tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (Yuval Tamir) writes:
>Apparently there is a company called GraphOn Corp. that has
>developed a terminal with a builtin X server (models GO-250 and GO-235).
>Can anybody supply more details about this
>product (performance, cost, etc) ?
>
>I don't even have the address or phone number of the company.
>I would be interested in getting those as well.

   The GraphOn terminals do *not* run the X server.  GraphOn has developed
a modification to the server so that instead of moving bits around on a
screen, it talks GraphOn protocol out an RS232 port.  Putting an X server
in an RS232 terminal would require a protocol to multiplex data streams
over the serial line.  The modified X-10 server is available from GraphOn in
source form, but of course it's not compatible with anything but these two
terminals, it's not an official product at this time, and in the demo I
saw it crashed twice.  The difference between the two models they offer is
that one also implements the ReGis protocol.  Neither is specialized in
any particular way for X, though they may make tweaks in the microcode
to help out the host-resident server.

   The performance was quite good at 9600 Baud (as you might expect if
you take a few seconds to count the number of bytes it takes to build
windows and so forth).  Drawing graphics was slow, but then that's
a problem with any RS232 graphics terminal.  There's not a lot of storage
in the terminal for fonts.

   The idea has a lot of appeal, but right now you'd have to port software
which has no use other than to drive GraphOn terminals, and everything
would probably be incompatible with any other RS232 X terminals that
get introduced later.  What's needed (in my 'umble opinion) is a standard RS232
multiplexing protocol and a terminal that has the X-11 server in ROM.
GraphOn's terminals aren't it yet, but maybe next year...

Russell Williams
..{ucbvax!sun,lll-lcc!lll-tis,altos86}!elxsi!rw

dbuckler@hpihoah.HP.COM (Dan Buckler) (10/30/87)

/ hpihoah:comp.windows.x / tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (Yuval Tamir) / 11:09 pm  Oct 27, 1987 /

----------

lasslo@hpihoah.HP.COM (Richard Lasslo) (10/31/87)

>Apparently there is a company called GraphOn Corp. that has
>developed a terminal with a builtin X server (models GO-250 and GO-235).
>Can anybody supply more details about this
>product (performance, cost, etc) ?

>I don't even have the address or phone number of the company.
>I would be interested in getting those as well.
>
>			   Yuval Tamir

>There was a one paragraph blurb in the new products section of the October
>UNIX/WORLD (p. 132), quoted below:

>GraphOn has implemented X Windows Version 11 on its GO-250 terminal.
>Features such as local raster operators, large amounts of off-screen storage,
>and a locally-polled mouse significantly enhance the product offering.
>Graphics terminals may be a cost effective way of providing industry standard
>window environments in multiuser computer solutions.
>
>GraphOn Corp.
>Campbell, CA
>408-371-8500
>
>Rich Goldschmidt
>Computer Consoles, Inc.
>(703) 648-3336

I have been working with a GraphOn-250 terminal for a few weeks and have
been trying to use it for an X-window display.  Here is the real scoop!

The terminal does NOT have a builtin X server.  The server resides on the
Unix system.  The server must be modified to send out graphic output to the
terminal over the serial lines instead of to the video display.  This requires
the X-server source.  Graphon has an unsupported set of subroutines that
anyone can try to combine with the server code to get the desired results.

I have been sucessfull in doing this for version X10.4 however there
are some bugs.

GraphOn has is planning to support Version 11, but it is NOT yet available.

For more information call Wes Walton at GraphOn  408-371-8500

Rick Lasslo
HP
408-4470160

P.S.  The previous response from dbuckler should be ignored, thank you