[net.news.group] how many does it take?

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory M. Paris) (07/18/85)

The recent (never ending?) debate about removing net.flame brings to mind
some questions.  If it takes a respectable amount of positive response to
initially create a group, how much response does it take to remove one?
Certainly there are several (hundred) people reading net.flame or whatever
that don't even read net.news.group.  Should such a group be removed
because the majority reading this group don't want it any more?  Has there
ever been a case of an active group being removed?  Can it be done?
--

++--------------------------------------------------------------------------++
||  Gregory M. Paris                                                        ||

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/20/85)

In article <859@rayssd.UUCP> gmp@rayssd.UUCP (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>f it takes a respectable amount of positive response to
>initially create a group, how much response does it take to remove one?

Well, since we have never really been able to successfully remove enough
groups to know for sure, I can't really say. I DO know from experience that
all it takes for ANY proposal on USENET to fail is for one opponent who is
willing to argue the point forever, or at least until all people on the
other side give up in disgust.
--
:From the carousel of the autumn carnival:        Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Your fifteen minutes are up. Please step aside!

krossen@bbncca.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (07/20/85)

>     I DO know from experience that all it takes for ANY proposal on USENET
>     to fail is for one opponent who is willing to argue the point forever,
>     or at least until all people on the other side give up in disgust.
Not true.  I believe that Rich Rosen is prepared to argue from now until
doomsday against the segmentation of net.music, and HOW many net.music.*
groups are there now?
--
Ken Rossen, Cambridge, Massachusetts
...!{decvax,ihnp4}!bbncca!krossen