[comp.windows.x] Problem with X11 and EOF

alden@osupyr.UUCP (Dave Alden) (11/05/87)

Hello,
  I just brought up X11 (patch level 43) and am having a problem with it.
Whenever I exit X, the sun acts as if I'm holding down Control-D.  First
it logs me out, then the getty gets the control-D and after printing the
login message 4 times, it fails and goes to sleep.  After a little while
the getty wakes up, has the same problem and goes back to sleep.  The only
way I know to reset it is to reboot the sun.  I on a Sun-3/160 running
OS 3.2.  Has anyone else had similar problems?
...thnx,
...Dave Alden @ The Ohio State University
...alden@osupyr.UUCP  ==or==  alden%osupyr@cbosgd.ATT.COM

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (11/06/87)

In comp.windows.x (<311@osupyr.UUCP>), alden@osupyr.UUCP (Dave Alden) writes:
>Whenever I exit X, the sun acts as if I'm holding down Control-D.  First
>it logs me out, then the getty gets the control-D and after printing the
>login message 4 times, it fails and goes to sleep.

I had the same problem in both xinit and xtools (a locally modified xinit
that reads a suntools-like startup file).  The problem seems to be that
xinit is setting O_NDELAY on the console device, and leaving it in this
state when it exits.  I eliminated the problem by making sure that xinit
clears the O_NDELAY flag (from stderr, which is a hack, but a hack that
works) just before it exits.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder