[comp.windows.x] X11 fixes #47-#60 available

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (11/11/87)

X11 fixes #47 through #60 have been placed on zap and on the xstuff
server.  They haven't made it to decwrl yet.  I'm going to try the
experiment of not posting the fixes to the net, ask those that want them
to get them by ftp or mail, and see how much flak I get as a result.

mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) (11/11/87)

In article RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:
> I'm going to try the
> experiment of not posting the fixes to the net, ask those that want them
> to get them by ftp or mail, and see how much flak I get as a result.

here's some flak.  i have to go over to uc berkeley, ftp the fixes, and
push them through a tired mailer by hand to get them at work.  i suspect
that zap is going to be very busy under this policy.  what good does it
to you *not* to post the fixes?
					mike olson
					britton lee, inc.
					(...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!blia!mao)

mdb@amadeus.UUCP (Mark D. Baushke) (11/12/87)

>  Date: 11 Nov 87 16:54:35 GMT
>  From: sun!ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!voder!blia!blipyramid!mao  (Mike Olson)
>  Subject: Re: X11 fixes #47-#60 available
>
>  here's some flak.  i have to go over to uc berkeley, ftp the fixes, and
>  push them through a tired mailer by hand to get them at work.  i suspect
>  that zap is going to be very busy under this policy.  what good does it
>  to you *not* to post the fixes?

ah yes, that would be true if you *had* to use ftp to get the fixes.
however, there is another way to get the patches:

------------------------- message 1 -------------------------

	To: xstuff@apx.lcs.mit.edu
	Subject: send fixes 41-50
	[no message body]

------------------------- message 2 -------------------------

	To: xstuff@apx.lcs.mit.edu
	Subject: send fixes 51-60
	[no message body]

you will receive a two mesages, each one a shar file containing the
fixes asked for. i have used this method quite successfully to obtain
the fixes (i do not have *any* access to ftp myself).

it almost certainly does save bandwidth as i am fairly certain that
not all readers of xpert are interested in getting the fixes (X10
readers for instance).

i assume that xstuff and ftp are *both* capable of being monitored so
that if the assumption of reduced bandwith is not correct, the old
method of sending the patches to xpert can be started once again
(although another solution might be to set up an "xbugfixes" mailing
list if necessary, that way only those who are interested in getting
the fixes will be sent them).

Mark Baushke
UUCP: ...!sun!silvlis!mdb

DLE@KL.SRI.COM (David L. Edwards) (11/13/87)

I must agree that using Xstuff to distribute fixes is great.  Response
time has been excellent and it is very convenient.  One suggestion
would be to make fixes available incrementally instead of just large
groups.

-dle