[comp.windows.x] hatchet job

Len%AIP1%TSD@atc.bendix.COM (11/16/87)

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 87 12:15 EST
From: Sai-Cheong Arnold Chu <Gilgamesh@HEART-OF-GOLD.ABATSD>
Subject: hatchet job
To: "3077::IN%\"XPERT@ATHENA.MIT.EDU\""@TSD1.ABATSD

Hello to all the XPERT users.  My project have been studying X V10.4 and we just
received V11.  I need some advice from knowledgable sources on how to trim down
V11.

We are implementing a subset of X windows on a computer we are building.  It uses
a 68020 with a TMS34010 coprocessor.  Most of the server will be implemented on
the 34010.  However, we have only 512 Kb ROM and 512 Kb of RAM for the server.
V11 server on the Sun takes up 550 Kb.  It is clear that we need to trim down
the server extensively.  Our display is monochrome, so we do not need color support.
Since 34010 has hardware support for line drawing and pixblt, we do not need to
do pixel poking to implement the graphics.  I would like to hear from those with
more experience with X: which part of the server can I leave out so that I can cleanly
stub it ?  What is the easiest way to have the server use hardware assisted graphics
from our own library ?  Please reply via direct mail or this list.  If this topic
is of general interest, I'll gladly summarized all the replies.

Thanks,
Arnold Chu
chu%bendix.com@relay.cs.net
(201) 393-2652