[comp.windows.x] X Windows for the IBM PC/XT/AT now available!

kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) (11/21/87)

	We're happy to announce the availability of an X Windows
Server for the IBM PC/XT/AT under PC/DOS.  Now use your inexpensive PC
as a graphics display, while running your applications on remote
machines with more horsepower.  It requires an Excelan ethernet board,
an optical 3-button PC Mouse and a Hercules Graphics card.  Other
combinations of devices and color displays will be supported in the
near future.  Prices:

	$99.95 1st copy of server
	 89.95 2nd thru 10th copies
	 79.95 11th and up copies

	All software comes with a free first update, and is not copy
protected (we like to think that our prices are low enough that it's
not worth having to deal with pirated copies).  OEM/VAR terms and source
code are available -- call for details.

	We also have Excelan cards with tranceivers for $1295,
the Optical PC Mouse for $99.95, and Hercules Cards for $59.95.

	The software comes with an installation guide and implementation
notes (1 copy per order).  An X Programmer's Guide is available separately
for $34.95 (man pages and Xlib document).

	We'd like to think our product is competetively priced and is
a quality implementation.  We think you'll agree.

	For more information contact:

	PC-X Windows Sales Mgr.
	Intelligent Decisions, Inc.
	P.O. Box 50174
	Palo Alto, CA 94303

	408-996-2399

	Or simply send your check or purchase order to the above address
(don't forget sales tax if the order is shipped to California).  M/C or
VISA is also OK.

kempf@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Jim Kempf) (11/22/87)

In article <299@idi.UUCP>, kiessig@idi.UUCP (Rick Kiessig) writes:

> 	We're happy to announce the availability of an X Windows
> Server for the IBM PC/XT/AT under PC/DOS.  Now use your inexpensive PC

This is the second X server product on the PC/AT/XT I've seen advertised,
and I'm not impressed. Most PC class machine owners don't want to shell
out for an expensive Ethernet, I would assume, and would rather run X
like Microsoft windows locally or over a cheaper network connection. I'd
be tempted to pay real money when an X server working through a serial
connection becomes available, since, with 9600 baud and over modems beginning
to appear, an AT class machine running an X server talking to the
remote over the phone lines sounds like a nice home workstation.

The other thing I've found unimpressive is the narrow range of display
hardware supported. The desktop publishing system Ventura supports everything
from low res black and white to the Xerox Full Page monitor, which is, I
believe, typical of DOS applications. The PC/AT X products I've looked at
have a much narrower range.

I'm glad to see X products starting to appear, but they'll have to fit
into the DOS world better before I'll bite.

		Jim Kempf	kempf@hplabs.hp.com

Usual Disclaimer

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (11/22/87)

The X distribution policy is a fine thing (a lot better than the
SunView distribution policy!); I just wanted to remind folks of the big
difference between it and the GNU policy, as this sort of thing becomes
more and more common:

> 	We're happy to announce the availability of an X Windows
> Server for the IBM PC/XT/AT under PC/DOS.
> 	$99.95 1st copy of server
> 	 89.95 2nd thru 10th copies
> 	 79.95 11th and up copies
> 	All software comes with a free first update, and is not copy
> protected (we like to think that our prices are low enough that it's
> not worth having to deal with pirated copies).  OEM/VAR terms and source
> code are available -- call for details.

If this was licensed like GNU, there would be no question of source code,
or of paying more money for duplicating floppies.  (Also, since
this ad doesn't say which version, it's sure to be X10.)

I was reading the new HP test & measurement catalog and came across another
example:

	X Window System for Series-300:
		X Window System (with XrLIB)		$715
		right to make one copy			$355

	X Window System for HP Model 825:
		X Window System (with XrLIB)		$2100
		right to make one copy			$1470

Seems like a lot to pay for public access code.  With GNU distribution,
ten people could buy one copy (with source, and all the HP-specific
hacks) at the outrageous price and then go into business selling it at
a reasonable price.  As it is, each company will end up jealously guarding
some proprietary part of its X implementation to "discourage" people from
doing their own port.
--
{pyramid,ptsfa,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
Love your country but never trust its government.

jip@nih-csl.UUCP (john powell) (11/23/87)

X Version 10 or X Version 11?

		John Powell

		uunet!mimsy!elsie!nih-csl!jip