[comp.windows.x] X hatchet job

Len%AIP1%TSD@atc.bendix.COM (11/24/87)

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 87 11:20 EST
From: Sai-Cheong Arnold Chu <Gilgamesh@HEART-OF-GOLD.ABATSD>
Subject: Re: X hatchet job
To: "3077::IN%\"xpert@athena.mit.edu\""@TSD1.ABATSD

Yes, we are building a portable computer.  512 kb refers only to the memory available
to the 34010 and hence the server.  I would love to be able to retain X without any
modifications.  However, even if we modify it, all the client application will be written
inhouse.  It will not be available to the public as a general purpose computer.  There
will be no impact on X windows' reputation.  Besides, the only true standard in X is the
protocals.  The server implementation included is stated explicitly NOT to be a reference
server.  There are a lot of code in the server trying to adapt to many different types of
frame buffers and machines.  This level of generality is not necessary for my application.
We are planning to eliminate that type of codes before affecting the functionality of X.
What I would like to hear from the experienced X hackers is whether this approach seems
feasible and which area they think we should work on first.