[comp.windows.x] Unpleasant behavior of xterm

rlk@THINK.COM.UUCP (11/19/87)

[Using X10R4 with some recent version of xterm]

Curses-using programs (top, less) seem to flip back to the alternate
screen when they exit, a behavior not seen with older versions of
xterm or on VT100's.  I can't find any way of turning this off listed
in the man page, nor in the menus.  I know that some people like this,
but it's not a universal win...

cca >>>>>>>>>>  |
harvard >>>>>>  |
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>
rutgers >>>>>>  |
ihnp4 >>>>>>>>  .

mlandau@diamond.bbn.com.UUCP (11/20/87)

In comp.windows.x (<8711191640.AA19997@dagda.think.com>), rlk@THINK.COM
(Robert L. Krawitz) asks how to disable the use of the alternate screen
in programs that use termcap/curses.

The answer is to edit the /etc/termcap entry for xterm and remove
the "ti" and "te" entries.

edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <8711191640.AA19997@dagda.think.com> rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) writes:
>[Using X10R4 with some recent version of xterm]
>
>Curses-using programs (top, less) seem to flip back to the alternate
>screen when they exit, a behavior not seen with older versions of
>xterm or on VT100's.  I can't find any way of turning this off listed
>in the man page, nor in the menus.  I know that some people like this,
>but it's not a universal win...
>
>cca >>>>>>>>>>  |
>harvard >>>>>>  |
>bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>
>rutgers >>>>>>  |
>ihnp4 >>>>>>>>  .

As the writer of xterm version 6.6, I'm sorry it isn't documented that well.
Anyways, just change the termcap entry by removing the ti= and te= entries.
You can even have separate versions of the termcap, with and without.

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@opal.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!opal!edmoy

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU.UUCP (11/21/87)

    Date: Thu, 19 Nov 87 11:40:36 EST
    From: Robert L. Krawitz <rlk@Think.COM>

    Curses-using programs (top, less) seem to flip back to the alternate
    screen when they exit... I can't find any way of turning this off listed
    in the man page, nor in the menus.

Remove the \E[?47h and \E[?47l from the termcap ti and te entry.

rlk@think.COM (Robert Krawitz) (11/24/87)

In article <6003@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu () writes:
]As the writer of xterm version 6.6, I'm sorry it isn't documented that well.
]Anyways, just change the termcap entry by removing the ti= and te= entries.
]You can even have separate versions of the termcap, with and without.

Suggestion for future versions:  make this capability accessible via
.Xdefaults (xterm.alternatebuffer: {on,off}), a command line option,
and a menu item (for things that do really fancy cursor hackery you
might just want it, but for things like less, top, etc.  you might
not).  This is a lot easier than swapping termcap entries constantly.

I also notice that an alternate screen menu item appears, disabled, in
the modes menu.  This could be enabled.  Then people could switch back
and forth between the screens (people doing so in the middle of
something printing out do so at their own risk).

BTW, thanks to all who answered.