[net.news.group] Would somebody make up his mind?

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (07/15/85)

Would somebody decide whether or not there will be a net.bizarre?

First one of the local sites runs a mvjunk script and accidentally creates
it.

Then Spaf and Chuq both send out rmgroup messages, so I remove it.

Then Moriarty posts to it. Lo and behold, inews recreates it.

Seeing that this is a mistake, I remove it again.

Now Larry Wall (of rn fame) posts to it, saying that it fills a need.
Needless to say, inews has recreated it again.

If it were anyone else, I would remove it again without asking. I tend,
however, to treat Larry Wall with the same respect due the other net gurus
like Spaf, Chuq, and Lauren. So now what?

Like I said, would somebody make up his mind?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/15/85)

I agree with Larry.  This group fills some yet unspoken need!

And besides....if we can have net.misc.coke created, why not net.bizarre?

Ross

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (07/22/85)

In article <311@timeinc.UUCP> Ross M. Greenberg writes:
>I agree with Larry.  This group fills some yet unspoken need!

Whoa there!  That's not quite what I said.  I said:

	"This newsgroup fills a much-needed gap."

I don't think this can be construed in any way to support the existence of
the newsgroup.  Think about it.

>I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.

I'm not sure I want you to be my spokesperson either.   :-)

I apologize to the sites at which my message recreated the newsgroup--it
was sent out before any rmgroup messages arrived here, and I expected that,
in typical net fashion, it would take several weeks for someone to get
around to removing it.  Ah well.  C'est la net.

Larry Wall
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!lwall

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (07/23/85)

> I agree with Larry.  This group fills some yet unspoken need!
> And besides....if we can have net.misc.coke created, why not net.bizarre?
> Ross
> --

I'd rather see net.bizarre hang around a lot more than net.misc.coke!

After all, bizarre can be used for strange events, strange laws (because
net.legal gets pretty stuffy and serious), and strange ideas (my favorite).

After all, how interesting/useful is a group that is based on a
caramel-colored-sugar-water-and-CO2 mixture?  With OR without
caffeine (C8H10N4O2), it still doesn't warrant it's own group.

I'd like to propose a trade -- coke for bizarre!

Gary
(hplabs,ihnp4,allegra)oliveb!olivee!gnome