[comp.windows.x] WHAT IF ... Xdefaults weren't such a royal pain to use?

mayer@hplabsz.UUCP (11/25/87)

Is there a decent reason why .Xdefaults isn't read in by the X server and
all subsequent calls to XGetDefault generate queries to the server?

One's default's should be generated on a "per seat" (or perhaps per
display) basis rather than on a per host basis.

It looks like X11 might let me "override" the traditional methods of
getting ~/.Xdefaults by letting me put all the Xdefaults as properties of,
say, the root window. I would leave the definition of XGetDefault the same
but change the implementation to query the server for the data.

Is anybody doing this already? Can you think of a good reason why I
shouldn't?

-- Niels Mayer.

douglis@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (11/29/87)

In article <1099@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, mayer@hplabsz (Niels Mayer) writes:
>One's default's should be generated on a "per seat" (or perhaps per
>display) basis rather than on a per host basis.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  While in fact I maintain identical
copies of .Xdefaults on all my machines, there are some times when I
wish I had more flexibility.  The syntax for .Xdefaults will let one
specify different defaults for the same program invoked by different
names, but not the same program on different machines.  Therefore,
when I want to override defaults on a per-machine basis I just have to
specify everything as command-line arguments or make a local copy of
.Xdefaults.  (A solution to the latter problem would be to have
".Xdefaults.local" and then munge the rdisted .Xdefaults each time it
gets copied, but I haven't done that.  In any case, having defaults
handled just by the server could remove any possibility of
host-specific defaults -- unless someone has a good solution to all
this?)
--
Fred Douglis		douglis@ginger.Berkeley.EDU	ucbvax!douglis