RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (11/23/87)

    Date: 23 Nov 87 06:58:35 GMT
    From: violet.berkeley.edu!jkh@jade.Berkeley.EDU  (Jordan K. Hubbard)

    Patch #68 completely breaks the server when run on a Sun 3 monochrome.
    I don't know if it breaks under the qvss/qdss/ibm

It's working just fine for me on a Sun 3/110, an Apollo DN-3000, and a
DEC VS2000.  But then, you probably guessed that already.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (11/24/87)

In comp.windows.x (<871123090636.6.RWS@KILLINGTON.LCS.MIT.EDU>), RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:

>    Date: 23 Nov 87 06:58:35 GMT
>    From: violet.berkeley.edu!jkh@jade.Berkeley.EDU  (Jordan K. Hubbard)
>
>    Patch #68 completely breaks the server when run on a Sun 3 monochrome.
>    I don't know if it breaks under the qvss/qdss/ibm
>
>It's working just fine for me on a Sun 3/110, an Apollo DN-3000, and a
>DEC VS2000.  But then, you probably guessed that already.

I can verify Jordan's experience - after installing patches 61-70, the
server no longer worked on our monochrome Suns (3/75's and 3/160's).
We got a slightly different set of symptoms - most windows appeared to
get set up correctly, but no xterm window ever got keyboard focus.  Also,
windows that set colors ended up using black foregroun and background
instead of correctly ignoring color specifications.

Sure enough, when I backed out patch #68 (thank Larry Wall for patch -R!)
things returned to a more normal state.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder

jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard) (11/25/87)

}}
}
}I can verify Jordan's experience - after installing patches 61-70, the
}server no longer worked on our monochrome Suns (3/75's and 3/160's).
}We got a slightly different set of symptoms - most windows appeared to
}get set up correctly, but no xterm window ever got keyboard focus.  Also,
}windows that set colors ended up using black foregroun and background
}instead of correctly ignoring color specifications.
} Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
} mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder

Aha! Vindication at last! Thank you Matt, I thought I'd gone insane
or something! So, is this isolated to just us two?

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (11/30/87)

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 87 10:53:36 est
From: uiucdcs!uiucuxc!unicus!geac!david@RUTGERS.EDU (David Haynes)

In article <871123090636.6.RWS@KILLINGTON.LCS.MIT.EDU> you write:

>    Date: 23 Nov 87 06:58:35 GMT
>    From: violet.berkeley.edu!jkh@jade.Berkeley.EDU  (Jordan K. Hubbard)
>
>    Patch #68 completely breaks the server when run on a Sun 3 monochrome.
>    I don't know if it breaks under the qvss/qdss/ibm
>
>It's working just fine for me on a Sun 3/110, an Apollo DN-3000, and a
>DEC VS2000.  But then, you probably guessed that already.

Check your patch file for the change around line 1468. I had a corrupted
version which had a '+' replaced with a cntrl-k! Also, check for patch
reject files (*.rej) in the server area.

-david-

p.s. Works fine on my sun3/160 and 3/50.

jmb@sfrod.UUCP (12/02/87)

In article <871123090636.6.RWS@KILLINGTON.LCS.MIT.EDU>,
RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:

>    Date: 23 Nov 87 06:58:35 GMT
>    From: violet.berkeley.edu!jkh@jade.Berkeley.EDU  (Jordan K. Hubbard)
>
>    Patch #68 completely breaks the server when run on a Sun 3 monochrome.
>    I don't know if it breaks under the qvss/qdss/ibm
>
>It's working just fine for me on a Sun 3/110, an Apollo DN-3000, and a
>DEC VS2000.  But then, you probably guessed that already.

Ah, yes, the infamous patch #68.  Why on earth does it work fine for some
folks while completely breaking the server for others?  And why did it not
work on our Sun-3/110C, one of the machines that RWS says it works fine on?

After several dead-ends, I've finally found the answer: the Sun optimizer.
I recompiled the file in question (dix/window.c) without -O on our Sun and
everything now works fine.  No doubt there is a quirk in the 3.2 optimizer
that was fixed later releases, hence the discrepancy.  Somebody with a bit
of time on their hands might want to figure out exactly what it is in the
patch that the optimizer doesn't agree with.

Happy patching,

Jim Bash					|  "Optimization is the
AT&T Bell Labs					|   elimination of unused
Room G-211, 190 River Road, Summit, NJ 07901	|   generality."
(201) 522-6649					|	-- Steve Muchnick
[...|ihnp4|bellcore|allegra]!attunix!jmb	|	    via Peter Kessler