[comp.windows.x] multiple defaults files

karlton@decwrl.dec.com (Philip Karlton) (12/12/87)

In article <8712072013.AA10911@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> MARC@IBM.COM (Marc Auslander) writes:
>(In my application, I drag my .Xdefaults around in the distributed file
>system, but different machines have different size displays.  I'd like
>to be able to compute font and geometry specs by display and put them
>in environment variables.
>Thoughts?
>
>Marc Auslander

The right way to do this is to have the .Xdefaults file stored on the server
rather than getting it from the machine on which the client is running. This
way, when you begin your use of a particular display, you can have the
appropriate defaults stored by a session manager or equivalent. It makes it
even easier if host specifications can be included in the syntax for
specifying your application/window attributes.

There should be provisions for dealing with this in the forthcoming version of
the toolkit.

PK