[comp.windows.x] Document previewing using Xps

beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (12/14/87)

In article <6224@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> shipley@web1d.berkeley.edu () writes
on the subject of troff previewing under X:

>The other thing to try is some version of TROFF which can speak PostScript(tm)
>which you can then feed through one of the several Xps programs floating
>around -- these are PostScript(tm) interpreter/previewers for Xwindows.

I've not been very successful in getting Goswell's Xps to preview documents.
The Postscript file generated from TeX DVI files by dvi2ps and from Ditroff
files by the Transcript psdit program both cause it to choke, although in
different ways.

Is anyone using Xps successfully for TeX or Ditroff previewing?  Is there some
trick?

Micah Beck
Cornell Dept of Computer Science
beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu

ambar@athena.mit.edu (Jean Marie Diaz) (01/03/88)

In article <1898@svax.cs.cornell.edu> beck@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) writes:

>Is anyone using Xps successfully for TeX or Ditroff previewing?  Is there some
>trick?

In a word, no.  I never managed to get the distributed (X10) version
running, never mind previewing documents.  Under the Beta release, my
X11 driver handled graphics and _large_ fonts (say 70 points or more,
such as the lettering in the raygun demo, and the beginning of the trees
demo) just fine.  Under X11R1, the driver is broken _entirely_ (no
screen output at all), and I've been working on other things, until I
regain some enthusiasm.  (X11 is gonna make a horse trainer out of me
yet...)

				AMBAR
ambar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu			{backbones}!mit-eddie!ambar