rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) (01/07/88)

   Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 11:51:43 EST
   From: fad@Think.COM

   Robert--

   I'm new to x, and I'm using a script called x that John Rose sent me.
   My copy fires up gmacs using:

		   'gmacs -font 9x15 -b 3 -w =80x59-4+2 -i'

   This makes the right window, with the right font, but it starts up
   with "file not found" (when I run it myself in the xterm window) or
   with a file called "=80x59-4+2" (when run by the script).

It's true that when not running under X emacs doesn't know about the X
options, but it sounds like you are running under X.  I tried it
myself with my .emacs file and also without a .emacs file (-q) without
any trouble on dagda.  It's presumably something in your .emacs file,
although I couldn't find anything suspicious.

harvard >>>>>>  |
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>
ihnp4 >>>>>>>>  .

mjab@THINK.COM (01/07/88)

The thing wrong with your file is the -font flag which expects to
be followed by a file name for a font file.  e.g.

	'gmacs -i -w =80x50-0+0 -font /usr/lib/sax/kaplcour.r.14'

-Michael

PS.  As John told you, I was once a novice X user.  Now I am a
former X user instead (still novice, though).  It can do a lot of
stuff, but I found it very hard to get used to the way every
twitch of your hand makes it run off and do 5 things you didn't
want.  The only reason I used it in the first place is because I
wanted to use APL font and it didn't work in Suntools.  Now I
have an APLtool from Morgan Stanley and I use suntools instead of
X and uwm.  Nevertheless, you are welcome to my .uwmrx and
.Xdefaults files.

fad@THINK.COM (01/07/88)

   Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 14:03:46 EST
   From: mjab@Think.COM

   The thing wrong with your file is the -font flag which expects to
   be followed by a file name for a font file.  e.g.

	   'gmacs -i -w =80x50-0+0 -font /usr/lib/sax/kaplcour.r.14'

   -Michael

   PS.  As John told you, I was once a novice X user.  Now I am a
   former X user instead (still novice, though).  It can do a lot of
   stuff, but I found it very hard to get used to the way every
   twitch of your hand makes it run off and do 5 things you didn't
   want.  The only reason I used it in the first place is because I
   wanted to use APL font and it didn't work in Suntools.  Now I
   have an APLtool from Morgan Stanley and I use suntools instead of
   X and uwm.  Nevertheless, you are welcome to my .uwmrx and
   .Xdefaults files.

fad@THINK.COM (01/07/88)

Sorry about sending the previous message!  (^X^X is sometimes too
close to ^C^C...)

   Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 14:03:46 EST
   From: mjab@Think.COM

   The thing wrong with your file is the -font flag which expects to
   be followed by a file name for a font file.  e.g.

	   'gmacs -i -w =80x50-0+0 -font /usr/lib/sax/kaplcour.r.14'

   -Michael

Nope.  'man gmacs' says that it looks in /usr/new/lib/X/font, and to
leave off the .onx extension.  It doesn't accept a pathname such as
above.  Still a mystery, folks...

--Franklin

rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) (01/07/88)

   Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 14:34:50 EST
   From: fad@Think.COM

      Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 14:03:46 EST
      From: mjab@Think.COM

      The thing wrong with your file is the -font flag which expects to
      be followed by a file name for a font file.  e.g.

	      'gmacs -i -w =80x50-0+0 -font /usr/lib/sax/kaplcour.r.14'

   Nope.  'man gmacs' says that it looks in /usr/new/lib/X/font, and to
   leave off the .onx extension.  It doesn't accept a pathname such as
   above.  Still a mystery, folks...

Nope.  Emacs accepts either a font name from /usr/new/lib/X/font or
the absolute pathname of a font (with any extension).  It accepts
anything that XOpenFont does -- I use /u9/rlk/fonts/5x7.onx (very
small) with no problems.

I took the exact command line in question and typed it in and didn't
have the problem.  gmacs -q with the rest of the command line also
didn't give me a problem.  Which machine did this happen on?

shn@THINK.COM (01/07/88)

  Nope.  'man gmacs' says that it looks in /usr/new/lib/X/font, and to
  leave off the .onx extension.  It doesn't accept a pathname such as
  above.  Still a mystery, folks...

  --Franklin

I think you will find that X on a Sun (whether or not you are running
X under Suntools) will support both X font and the Sun font files.  The
other way to adjust the fonts used by gmacs under X is to put in a line like
this in your .Xdefaults file ....

emacs.bodyfont:                 /usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts/screen.r.14

This is a reference to a Sun font but I am sure you could reference an X
font file as well.

I hope this helps

Sam N

fad@THINK.COM (01/07/88)

   Date: Wed, 6 Jan 88 14:52:05 EST
   From: shn@Think.COM

     Nope.  'man gmacs' says that it looks in /usr/new/lib/X/font, and to
     leave off the .onx extension.  It doesn't accept a pathname such as
     above.  Still a mystery, folks...

     --Franklin

   I think you will find that X on a Sun (whether or not you are running
   X under Suntools) will support both X font and the Sun font files.  The
   other way to adjust the fonts used by gmacs under X is to put in a line like
   this in your .Xdefaults file ....

   emacs.bodyfont:                 /usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts/screen.r.14

   This is a reference to a Sun font but I am sure you could reference an X
   font file as well.

   I hope this helps

   Sam N

Aha!  I didn't have .Xdefaults.  That should help.  Thanks, folks!

--Franklin