[comp.windows.x] X11 on color Sun

Sean.Engelson@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (01/12/88)

I have a color Sun 3/260 running Sun Unix 3.3, as well as a version of X
compiled for the Sun and running on similar (monochrome) machines.  I am
accessing it via an NFS-mounted disk, so it is the same copy that runs fine
elsewhere, but when I run it (via xinit ...), I get a root-window
background, but no mouse cursor or xterm window.  Now, I know that X and
xterm are running, via a ps from a terminal.  Has anyone else seen this
problem before and have a fix?

Thanks,
	-Sean Engelson-
	Carnegie-Mellon University
ARPA:	Sean.Engelson@cs.cmu.edu

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (01/13/88)

In comp.windows.x, Sean.Engelson@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>[running X11 on a color Sun 3], I get a root-window
>background, but no mouse cursor or xterm window.  Now, I know that X and
>xterm are running, via a ps from a terminal.  Has anyone else seen this
>problem before and have a fix?

I've seen this.  Look in /dev and see if you don't have a /dev/bwtwo0
(the monochrome framebuffer device).  It seems that X is trying to run
on this device instead of the color framebuffer.  I don't know if
anything bad will happen as a result of rm'ing the monochrome device,
so instead we just run X with an explicit framebuffer device by invoking
is as "Xsun -dev /dev/cgtwo0" (or cgfour0 for machines with a prism
framebuffer) and everything works correctly.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder