[comp.windows.x] graphical object libraries for C++?

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (01/09/88)

       I'm sure everyone has heard of PPI's ICpak 201 graphical interface
support library for Objective C.  I was wondering if anyone is aware of
any such effort to produce a similar object library, similar to Keith Gorlen's
OOPS class library, for C++ access to windowing facilities for a system such
as X or NeWS (or the forthcoming NeWS/X merged product from Sun)?

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207

dawson@apollo.uucp (Keith Dawson) (01/19/88)

In a recent article, George Leache asks:

>        I'm sure everyone has heard of PPI's ICpak 201 graphical interface
> support library for Objective C.  I was wondering if anyone is aware of
> any such effort to produce a similar object library, similar to Keith
> Gorlen's OOPS class library, for C++ access to windowing facilities for
> a system such as X or NeWS (or the forthcoming NeWS/X merged product from
> Sun)?

Apollo's new Open Dialogue product seems to match your description.

  - a second-generation User Interface Management System
  - written in C++
  - implements an object workspace (OWS) at runtime
  - extensible: OWS is open to the programmer to add interaction objects
    (or any other kind of internal objects)
  - language bindings for C, C++, Pascal, Fortran
  - layered on X11 (not on Xtk)
  - multiple interface-description mechanisms supported: declarative Ascii
    description file, and interactive interface-definition tools provided
    with release 1
  - portable

Apollo will sell developers' kits for Open Dialogue to run on Apollo, Sun,
DEC, and IBM PC-RT platforms. We are also aggressively pursuing source
licensees to port the software to other platforms; an agreement is in place
for a port to the 80386/SysV environment.

Open Dialogue is well along in beta test and will ship (on Apollo platforms)
early in April. Support for the other platforms will follow within a few
months.

I am sending preliminary product information via U.S. mail.

-- Keith Dawson                                 decvax!apollo!dawson
   Section Manager, User Environments           617-256-0176 x 8337
   Apollo Computer
   330 Billerica Rd. (chm-02-rd)
   Chelmsford, MA 01824

michael@trigraph.UUCP (Michael Winser) (01/19/88)

In article <1972@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>Keith Gorlen's OOPS class library, for C++
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this OOPS class library similar to the foundation library that
comes with Objective-C?  Is it availible?  How much does it cost?
I'm considering using C++, but one of my strongest objections was
the lack of foundation classes.  This would make a significant
difference.

Please e-mail if you have this library and can mail it to me.

Michael

--
...utscri!trigraph!michael            Michael Winser
michael@trigraph.UUCP                 Trigraph Inc.