[comp.windows.x] Compact

chris@gargoyle.UChicago.EDU (Chris Johnston) (01/20/88)

I am interested in X or NeWS terminals which are smaller, lighter,
more compact than a Sun3/50 or Apollo.  The ability to run over
serial line in the 9.6kb to 56kb range might provide reasonable
performance...

Anyone know of plans or availability of such a critter?  I know the
NeWS group at Sun did this with an Amiga (Atari?), but they did it
just to prove it could be done and it isn't a real product...

cj

--
* -- Chris Johnston --        * UChicago Computer Science Dept
* chris@gargoyle.uchicago.edu * 1100 East 58th Street

rad@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Richard A. Dramstad) (01/23/88)

In article <870@gargoyle.UChicago.EDU> chris@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Chris Johnston) writes:

>I am interested in X or NeWS terminals which are smaller, lighter,
>more compact than a Sun3/50 or Apollo.  The ability to run over
>serial line in the 9.6kb to 56kb range might provide reasonable
>performance...
>Anyone know of plans or availability of such a critter?  ...

	There are lots of rumors out of DEC-land about something
called a "VAXterm," which is supposed to be a color graphics terminal
equipped with the Dragon graphics chip set (same as in the GPX) that
knows how to speak X.  Obviously, you're not going to get a lot of
details by calling your DEC salesperson...

Dick Dramstad