[comp.windows.x] wish list

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/07/87)

Here are a few things I'd like. Please tell me how to get them if they've
already been done.

1.) a BIG cut buffer. The macintosh can cut and paste a chunk of text at
least 32k long. The X system I am running on my Sun 3/50s seems to
truncate the cut buffer at about 512 characters: much too short for a
paragraph of text or a single lisp function.

2.) A version of csh that will show me the directory structure as a tree,
with my current working directory marked on the picture of the tree, so I
can cd by pointing with the mouse at the new position I want to be.
(with the non-directory files, at each point, drawn in a grayed-out font,
so I can shift click to copy a file name into the cut buffer.)

3.) a similar smart interface to readnews (rn) and to mail. Let's get out
of this multiple-pseudo-vt100-xterm-window dark ages.

--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

jimc@iscuva.UUCP (04/13/87)

>3.) a similar smart interface to readnews (rn) and to mail. Let's get out
>of this multiple-pseudo-vt100-xterm-window dark ages.

Hear hear!  I couldn't agree more.  The reason I bought a Macintosh, and
continue to recommend it to any who ask (in spite of its faults), is that
it represents a truly forward step in ease-of-use.  Wouldn't it be nice if
our $15,000 computers could be as nice to use as our $1,500 ones?

Flames about Mac-lovers should be directed to /dev/null/asbestos/lined

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  Spokane, WA
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: ihnp4!tektronix!reed!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509)927-5757
+----------------+
		    "Break free from the tyranny of
		     ESC[long;meaningless;stone;age;narrow;funnel;sequence."

martin@minster.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <505@iscuva.UUCP> jimc@iscuva.UUCP (Jim Cathey) writes:
>>3.) a similar smart interface to readnews (rn) and to mail. Let's get out
>>of this multiple-pseudo-vt100-xterm-window dark ages.
>
>Hear hear!  I couldn't agree more.  The reason I bought a Macintosh, and
>continue to recommend it to any who ask (in spite of its faults), is that

The programs in the LucasFilm graphics environment are some of the best
graphical programs (at least for MY type of use!) I've seen - Certainly
better than the baroque stuff Sun distributes.

Now that the author is at MIT, one might hope that these programs may
be ported to X.

	Martin

aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.UK (Aled Morris) (01/30/88)

Does anyone have xdvi for X11?  I would appreciate any information.
I'm stuck if you say "anonymous ftp" since I can't, but I'm on
speaking terms with xstuff...

Also, has anyone thought about porting Common Windows onto CLX?
CW would be a good substitute for a lisp-based toolkit, and if
it were freely available, so much the better.  If no-one else
has done it, someone here at UoS might be tempted.

Thanks in advance,

Aled Morris
systems programmer

Janet: aledm@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa
Arpa:  aledm%uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
uucp:  ...!mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!aledm
phone: +44-(0)273-606755  Ext. 2372
snail: School of Cognitive Science, University of Sussex, Falmer,
       Brighton BN1 9QN, England