[comp.windows.x] xtrek on X v10 and Sun 3/60

james@druco.ATT.COM (DavisJ) (01/27/88)

This may be old news or a trivial request but this is my
view of the situation.

I (we?) have lots of diskless suns running on a fileserver
with 3.4 SunOS and X10.  The diskless suns and one
3/110 (running "dataless") can run xtrek fine with no problems
but the two 3/60s also running dataless run X fine but
when xtrek is run, black windows appear and the game seems to
run but nothing is displayed.

Has anyone else experienced this or have an answer.

-----------------
James B. Davis (Jim), UNIX(tm) Systems Programmer
User Interface Group
AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
11900 North Pecos Street, 31G44
Denver, Colorado  80234

303/538-1647, Cornet 374-1647
Computing and Telecommunications Tech. Dept., Dept. XMRB50000 (DCTT)
[ihnp4]!druco!james (or read the Email header!)

UNIX is a registered TM of AT&T, UTS is a registered TM of Amdahl Corp.
Everything else is a (TM) or (C) of whoever claims to own it.
NOTE: My opinions are my own and not of my employer(s).

trudel@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (01/29/88)

In article <2488@druco.ATT.COM> james@druco.ATT.COM (DavisJ) writes:

> I (we?) have lots of diskless suns running on a fileserver
> with 3.4 SunOS and X10.  The diskless suns and one
> 3/110 (running "dataless") can run xtrek fine with no problems
> but the two 3/60s also running dataless run X fine but
> when xtrek is run, black windows appear and the game seems to
> run but nothing is displayed.

Are the colors set properly for xtrek?  Maybe they're getting set to
all black, maybe, perhaps, yes?  If so, you can change them.  They
need to be set in your .Xdefaults - Here's my setup:

xtrek.name:		Captain Zrk
xtrek.showShields:	on
xtrek.showStats:	on
xtrek.stats.geometry:	+0+655
xtrek.boldfont:	6x10b
xtrek.font:		6x10
xtrek.reverseVideo:	on
xtrek.GAlertPattern:	0xf
xtrek.YAlertPattern: 0xa 0x5
xtrek.RAlertPattern: 0x0f 0x0f 0x0f 0x0f 0xf0 0xf0 0xf0 0xf0
xtrek.ralert:	white
xtrek.yalter:	light grey
xtrek.galert:	black
xtrek.border:	black
xtrek.background:	black
xtrek.text:		white
xtrek.fed:		light grey
xtrek.rom:		light grey
xtrek.kli:		light grey
xtrek.ori:		light grey
xtrek.warning:	white
xtrek.unknown:	dark grey
xtrek.me:		white

cac@drutx.ATT.COM (ConkeyCA) (02/04/88)

in article <2488@druco.ATT.COM>, james@druco.ATT.COM (DavisJ) says:

> This may be old news or a trivial request but this is my
> view of the situation.
>
> I (we?) have lots of diskless suns running on a fileserver
> with 3.4 SunOS and X10.  The diskless suns and one
> 3/110 (running "dataless") can run xtrek fine with no problems
> but the two 3/60s also running dataless run X fine but
> when xtrek is run, black windows appear and the game seems to
> run but nothing is displayed.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or have an answer.
>

> -----------------
> James B. Davis (Jim), UNIX(tm) Systems Programmer

filler
filler
filler
filler
filler
filler

We've had this same problem. We have some Sun 3/60's
on which the xtrek displays just fine and others on which we get
a BLACK BOX where the program is running but you can't  see anything.
We even had one Sun 3/60 that worked fine until we reloaded it with
Cadnetix CAE software and now it just produces a black box.
I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Sun and not the X windows
environment since I can use the same setup (.Xdefaults, X0.hosts) files
and even the same executables via NFS mounts on machines that work and
on those that fail. I've played around with the
/dev devices tring different combinations to no avail.
Does anybody know the resolution to this problem?

Curtis Conkey
ihnp4!drutx!cac