[comp.windows.x] Some strange X window behavior

andrew@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Andrew A. Chien) (02/06/88)

I have been trying to run GNU Emacs under X10 and have
been unable to get the window to come up in inverse video.
I have tried configuring emacs (inverse video appears to be
not implemented) and changing the stuff in my .Xdefaults file,
and the stuff in my .uwmrc file and no combination seems to
work.

This problem only appears on the Sun3/50 (black and white models)
and doesn't appear on the 3/110 (color models).

Also, what do I need to do to convert to X11?

-Andrew

mdb@amadeus.UUCP (Mark D. Baushke) (02/06/88)

>  Date: Fri, 5 Feb 88 11:29:30 EST
>  From: sun!wheaties.ai.mit.edu!andrew (Andrew A. Chien)
>  Subject: Some strange X window behavior
>
>  I have been trying to run GNU Emacs under X10 and have
>  been unable to get the window to come up in inverse video.
>  I have tried configuring emacs (inverse video appears to be
>  not implemented) and changing the stuff in my .Xdefaults file,
>  and the stuff in my .uwmrc file and no combination seems to
>  work.

Try putting a line like this into your .Xdefaults file (both X10 and X11):

emacs.reversevideo:		on

You must use "on" (not "On", "ON", or "oN").
This works for me on a Sun3/50 running SunOS 3.4 with GNU Emacs 18.49.

>  This problem only appears on the Sun3/50 (black and white models)
>  and doesn't appear on the 3/110 (color models).
>
>  Also, what do I need to do to convert to X11?

The X11-emacs patches will be hopefully be available in the 18.50
release of GNU Emacs (out in a few weeks?). Until then you should
contact Robert S. French <rfrench@athena.mit.edu> about getting the
Beta-test copy of the patches.

(Note that the X11 version of GNU Emacs does not yet support
popup-menus.)

Mark Baushke
silvlis!mdb@sun.com