[comp.windows.x] Will X Windows be standard part of Unix?

bader+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Miles Bader) (01/23/88)

>                     if SunOS and System V are merged but are not
> called System V, then what?

How about "US/2" :-?

-Miles

bowbeer@apollo.uucp (Joe Bowbeer) (01/28/88)

There's been a lot of talk about the X11/NeWS merge on this newsgroup
recently. I question whether X11/NeWS will really be running on every UNIX box
soon. I realize Dave Rosenthal said this would be the case, but I also heard
someone from AT&T say that it won't necessarily be either free or soon. Will
X11/NeWS really be free with a UNIX license? When will it be available? Let's
hear from someone who speaks with authority.

I would also like to point out that without help from the other hardware
vendors, eg, Apollo, DEC, HP and IBM, the X11 in X11/NeWS won't perform as
well on these vendors' hardware as X11 from the X Consortium, and the
"PostScript" in X11/NeWS won't perform as well as Display PostScript (assuming
these vendors provide Display PostScript - DEC and NeXT, so far, say they
will). As every server implementor knows, there's a big difference in
performance between a sample, portable server and one which has been tuned to
run on a particular machine. Many hardware vendors have donated their code to
the X Consortium and I expect many will continue to do so. I can't see how
X11/NeWS can be more than a sample server without the help of other hardware
vendors.

Joe Bowbeer
{decvax,umix}!apollo!bowbeer

PS - I speak as an X server implementor and not as a spokesman for Apollo.

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (01/29/88)

In article <39ee61dd.7458@apollo.uucp>, bowbeer@apollo.uucp (Joe Bowbeer) writes:
> "PostScript" in X11/NeWS won't perform as well as Display PostScript (assuming
> these vendors provide Display PostScript - DEC and NeXT, so far, say they
I regard NeWS as a major improvement over Postscript in general and
especially not worth comparing with feeble Adobe Display Postscript product.

> PS - I speak as an X server implementor and not as a spokesman for Apollo.
It certainly nice to see that people from Apollo (Aegis) and DEC (VMS) are
concerned about "open systems".

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (02/06/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Mon Mar 23 1987 on bu-cs (berkeley-unix)

>                     if SunOS and System V are merged but are not
> called System V, then what?

Unix.