[comp.windows.x] Multiple-Choice menu implementation

Oren@home.csc.ti.COM (LaMott Oren) (02/12/88)

While playing with multiple-choice menu's, it occurred to me that it
would be real nice if I could select several items at once by holding
the mouse button down and dragging it across several items.  I was able
to get this effect by issuing an UnGrabPointer request on LeaveNotify
events to a button.  After doing this I started getting enter/leave
notifications for each button as I dragged the mouse across my menu
items.

I'm trying to avoid messy interactions with the menu-item's parent.
While the above scheme works, it isn't very robust.  There's a
round-trip to the server for each button the mouse is swept over, so its
possible for buttons to be skipped by a fast user (or slow client/server)

Is there a way to tell the server "don't automatically grab the pointer
when a button is pressed"?  (I've never understood all those options to
GrabPointer...)  Does X-Toolkit let you select multiple items with a
click-drag-release?  If so, what's the implementation strategy?

oj@apollo.uucp (Ellis Oliver Jones) (02/16/88)

In article <2780583915-4265083@SI> Oren@home.csc.ti.COM (LaMott Oren) writes:
>Is there a way to tell the server "don't automatically grab the pointer
>when a button is pressed"?

Try specifying OwnerGrabButtonMask to XSelectInput as a modifier
to ButtonPressMask.