[comp.windows.x] Accessing the "contrib" directory

rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) (02/11/88)

Does anyone out there know how I can get files from zap.mit.edu
* WITHOUT * bein on ARPANET ?

My node is only on USENET, but I would like to get the Andrew Toolkit
for X.  Unfortunately, without ARPA access I don't know of any way to
get the files that are available via anonymous FTP.

Thanks in advance for the help!

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:	...{philabs,motown}\!mergvax\!rkxyv
ARPA:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@seismo.css.gov
BITNET:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@seismo.css.gov.BITNET
SNAIL-mail: Linotype - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434-2729

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (02/16/88)

In article <300@mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:

>Does anyone out there know how I can get files from zap.mit.edu *
>WITHOUT * bein on ARPANET ?
>
>My node is only on USENET, but I would like to get the Andrew Toolkit
>for X.  Unfortunately, without ARPA access I don't know of any way to
>get the files that are available via anonymous FTP.

We could put the contributed stuff (zap.mit.edu:/contrib/*) on osu-cis
for UUCP access like the GNU stuff that we distribute, but it's pretty
huge and the PO for our Trailblazers hasn't gone out the door yet.
The Andrew distribution that's on zap now, in particular, is
considered to be very pre-release and things change almost daily.
Keeping up with all the changes, so that the versions will be fresh
for us and everyone else, is a non-trivial task to do well.

I've offered before to put X11 on osu-cis for anonymous UUCP access,
and got a decidely underwhelming response, which makes me less than
eager to spend the effort and disk space to maintain it.  Frankly,
osu-cis does a lot more UUCP traffic in one night distributing GNU
Emacs alone, than it would ever do distributing X11, judging from the
requests we've gotten.

If X11 via UUCP would be helpful to lots of folks then we can arrange
for it, otherwise I'm afraid I just can't justify the effort.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob