[comp.windows.x] X-Kanji

wicinski@NRL-CSS.ARPA (tim wicinski) (02/09/88)

I remember a passing reference to a Kanji version of X running on a Sun
3 being mentioned here a few months ago. Does anyone have any pointers
about 1) is someone working on it? 2) and if so, when could i expect it?

tim wicinski
naval research labs
--------

eugene@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Gene Dick) (02/10/88)

The Hewlett-Packard latest release of X Windows (still X10) for the
HP-UX 6.0 release does have Kanji support.  It is the A.03.00
release of X Windows.

kato%cs.titech.junet@utokyo-relay.CSNET (Akira Kato) (02/16/88)

In article <8802082303.AA05827@nrl-css.ARPA>
	wicinski@NRL-CSS.ARPA (tim wicinski) writes:
> I remember a passing reference to a Kanji version of X running on a Sun
> 3 being mentioned here a few months ago. Does anyone have any pointers
> about 1) is someone working on it? 2) and if so, when could i expect it?

I am not sure for the official activities for Japanization/Internationali-
zation, however, we already have the Japanized version of xterm, which we
call kterm (stands for Kanji TERMinal). It is derived from xterm by
Mr. Sano, et. al. at Tokyo Institute of Technology and it uses Kanji font
indexed by JIS X 0202 as well as a separated English alphabet font.

MIT Athena already have source of the kterm together with public domain
14x14 Kanji font (including JIS Kanji level 1 & 2) by Hiroshi Tachibana
at Tokyo Inst. of Tech.

Dr. Scheifler wrote me "We will almost certainly include them in the
second release."

Akira Kato, Tokyo Institute of Technology
JUNET: kato@cs.titech.junet
ARPA: kato%cs.titech.junet@relay.cs.net
UUCP: {mcvax,uunet}!kddlab!cs.titech.junet!kato