[comp.windows.x] X11 for IBM PC?

fdr@joy.ksr.com (Franklin Reynolds) (02/13/88)

I am new to this news group and I apologise if these
questions get asked all the time.

1. Is there a version of X (10.4 or 11) that runs on
an IBM PC? How about on a PC running MicroPort or Xenix?
What about a Mac?

2. When is X11R2 going to hit the streets?

3. X11R1 seems slower on my Sun than X10.4. Dare I hope
that X11R2 will perform more like X10.4?

   Franklin Reynolds
   fdr@ksr.uucp
   ksr!fdr@harvard.harvard.edu
   harvard!ksr!fdr

   Kendall Square Research Corporation
   Building 300 / Hampshire Street
   One Kendall Square
   Cambridge, Ma 02139

fink@mist.cs.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (02/18/88)

In article <229@ksr.UUCP> fdr@joy.ksr.com (Franklin Reynolds) writes:
>I am new to this news group and I apologise if these
>questions get asked all the time.
>
>1. Is there a version of X (10.4 or 11) that runs on
>an IBM PC? How about on a PC running MicroPort or Xenix?
>What about a Mac?

    I have the same question. I want to use IBM PC's as remote displays
    for our RT and maybe our Ridge computers. I know there is X for the IBM PC
    but where do I get and what hardware do I need, ie XT or AT, displays?

    I know people have asked about the Mac before but I have never seen an
    answer. I guess the problem is with an ether net connect?

    Thanks,
    Paul Fink
    fink@.mist.cs.orst.edu