[comp.windows.x] X for the Mac?

urban@spp2.UUCP (Michael Urban) (02/06/88)

Do I correctly understand that there is not, at present, an X11 server for
the Macintosh (generic)?  But that X11 will exist in some form under
A/UX on the Mac II only?

--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (02/17/88)

In article <296@algol.spp2.UUCP>, urban@spp2.UUCP writes:
> Do I correctly understand that there is not, at present, an X11 server for
> the Macintosh (generic)?  But that X11 will exist in some form under
> A/UX on the Mac II only?

Yes, but this may have something to do wqith the fact that X.11 can't
be considered stable yet. X 11.1 was very difficult to port, and
the thing is still a sufficiently fast moving target that any
company considering an X implementation for the WOMBAT-3000
would do well to hold off until the X world slows down a bit.

Jon

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (02/23/88)

}
}Yes, but this may have something to do wqith the fact that X.11 can't
}be considered stable yet. X 11.1 was very difficult to port, and
}the thing is still a sufficiently fast moving target that any
}company considering an X implementation for the WOMBAT-3000
}would do well to hold off until the X world slows down a bit.

Difficult to port?  I ported the alpha release of X11 to the Mac II
running A/UX in about a month, and most of that time was spent fighting
bugs.  The released version I ported in only two weeks.

Anyway, the original poster's understanding is correct, except that
as far as I know there has been no confirmation that the X to be
distributed with A/UX is X11.  For all we know it could be X10.

Wasn't A/UX released last week?  Let's hear some facts from someone
who knows, eh?
---
Jef

              Jef Poskanzer   jef@lbl-rtsg.arpa   ...well!pokey
         "That's not imitation wood. It's real plastic." -- Peter Max

allen@granite.dec.com (Allen Akin) (02/23/88)

In article <2811@sfsup.UUCP> shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) writes:
>In article <296@algol.spp2.UUCP>, urban@spp2.UUCP writes:
>> Do I correctly understand that there is not, at present, an X11 server for
>> the Macintosh (generic)?  But that X11 will exist in some form under
>> A/UX on the Mac II only?
>
>Yes, but this may have something to do wqith the fact that X.11 can't
>be considered stable yet. X 11.1 was very difficult to port, and
>the thing is still a sufficiently fast moving target that any
>company considering an X implementation for the WOMBAT-3000
>would do well to hold off until the X world slows down a bit.

MIT released X11 on 9/15/87.  Although the toolkit is still a
hotly-debated issue, the X11 protocol and basic programming interface
are quite stable.  Digital, Sun, Apollo, HP, and many other companies
have product-grade implementations in progress, and several ports have
been demonstrated at trade shows.

As for porting, our experience with X11 indicates that a
quick-and-dirty port should be easy.  For example, all graphics output
can be handled by writing just three routines.  You can then improve
performance by handling special cases to your heart's content.  I'm
writing this note on a performance-tuned X11 implemented in a few
months by a junior engineer and a high-school student.

I suspect there are lots of people porting X11 to the Mac OS.  (I'd
sure like to have a copy.)  If anyone has the time, the X11 sources are
available from MIT for a pittance.

Allen

keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita) (02/24/88)

In article <5278@well.UUCP> pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>as far as I know there has been no confirmation that the X to be
>distributed with A/UX is X11.  For all we know it could be X10.

A bunch of Apple reps came down to UH and demoed A/UX.  They mentioned
that the version currently with A/UX is "The version before X11,"
and that X11 wasn't bundled with Apple's unix simply because
it wasn't officially released yet.  The impression was that they'd
probably go to X11 once it was in release.
>---
>Jef
>
>              Jef Poskanzer   jef@lbl-rtsg.arpa   ...well!pokey
>         "That's not imitation wood. It's real plastic." -- Peter Max

--
Keith Kinoshita, UHCC
INTERNET: keith@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         ARPA:  uhccux!keith@nosc.MIL