[comp.windows.x] background in X10-- help for the novice

pomeranz@swatsun.uucp (Harold Pomeranz) (03/05/88)

We're running X10 on our SUN 3/50 workstations.  I'd like to be able to sub-
stitute my own backgrounds (probably rastarfiles) for the vanilla grey back-
ground.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?  Thanks...

Hal--

bob@seventh.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/06/88)

In article <1667@carthage.UUCP> pomeranz@swatsun.uucp (Harold Pomeranz) writes:
>We're running X10 on our SUN 3/50 workstations.  I'd like to be able
>to sub- stitute my own backgrounds (probably rastarfiles) for the
>vanilla grey back- ground.  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

For X bitmap format stuff, use "xsetroot -bitmap foo.bitmap".  If the
bitmap is large enough for a full-screen background, however, you'll
run into bitmap size limitations in XReadBitmapFile().  I fixed it
with the following simple tweak in XReadBitmapF.c:

diff XReadBitmapF.c ../Xlib/XReadBitmapF.c
30c30
<     while ((status = fscanf (file, "#define %80s %d\n", variable, &value))==2)
---
>     while ((status = fscanf (file, "#define %80s %2d\n", variable, &value))==2
)

Apparently the author expected bitmaps to be no larger than 99x99,
which makes for a pretty small full-screen background.

If you want to use Sun rasterfiles, get a translator called "suntox",
which was posted by clyde@ut-ngp.UUCP on 3 Mar 87.  Another way would
be to bother Ed Neiters at Purdue for his "xbgsun" which takes a Sun
rasterfile and translates it on the fly to an X bitmap, as it's being
sent to the server.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob