[comp.windows.x] Toolkit and NULL pointers

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (03/01/88)

When I tried to use the version of the toolkit released with
X11R1 it took me less than an hour to find the first NULL
pointer bug.  At the time,  I thought this was pretty
depressing,  and I spent some time explaining to people
that the fixes to map page zero out on VAXen had been available
for a while,  and that anyone claiming to ship "portable" software
should really take the time to use them.

So,  now that we've finished configuration testing the server
in the pre-release of R2,  I thought I'd pick up the toolkit
work I'd dropped when it became obvious that the R1 toolkit
was unusable.

Once again,  its taken me less than an hour to find a NULL
pointer bug!

So,  can one of the toolkit implementors explain:

-	why no-one bothered to run with page zero mapped out?

-	why no-one bothered to test this stuff on the Sun
	we lent you?

I am sending this to "xpert" in the hope that it will raise
the embarassement level to the point where some action will
be taken on this.  It is long past the time where bugs like
this are to be shrugged off.

	David.

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (03/02/88)

    Date: Mon, 29 Feb 88 20:09 EST
    From: David Rosenthal <dshr@Sun.COM>

    -	why no-one bothered to test this stuff on the Sun
	    we lent you?

I can't speak for "the toolkit implementors", but certainly at MIT we've
been running toolkit clients on a Sun, an HP, and an Apollo, as well as
on a Vax.  We didn't hit the bug you found, obviously.  Sorry.

    I am sending this to "xpert" in the hope that it will raise
    the embarassement level to the point where some action will
    be taken on this.

Unfortunately, I suspect messages like this end up impugning a lot of
people who don't deserve it.  You presumably know who "the toolkit
implementors" are, and they presumably know who they are, but the rest
of the world probably just lumps all of the X developers together.

hania@DECWRL.DEC.COM (03/02/88)

The toolkit code also runs on VMS, where NULL pointer bugs cause
crashes just like on Suns.  I am not a toolkit implementor, so I can't
speak with certainty, but I think the answer is that you try to catch
all those bugs, and you don't always succeed.

   Hania

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/07/88)

In article <8803010421.AA01012@devnull.sun.com> dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) writes:
>Once again, its taken me less than an hour to find a NULL pointer
>bug!

Agreed, it's less than an hour, but would you be willing to save the
rest of us the time, and put the necessary changes (diffs or whatever)
someplace where they are available via anonymous FTP?  All we with
Suns on our desks would be quite grateful.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob