[comp.windows.x] slight documentation problems

bromley@THINK.COM (03/10/88)

I recently unpacked the X.V11R2 distribution and found that
doc/Toolkit/{widgets,usenix}.PS had problems.  Only the first 5 pages of the
usenix paper made it, and only the first page of widgets was printed.  Not
having scribe I can't remake the usenix paper.  Could somebody with a good copy
put a version in the appropriate place on expo?

When I tried to remake widgets.PS a small bug in the Makefile was uncovered.
Making widgets.PS recursively invokes make to make the index without passing
along the options that could have sensibly been defined on the command line,
namely TROFF and PRINTER.  The lines

widgets: $(FILES1)
	rm -f widg.idx.raw widgets.PS widgets.idx.PS
	tbl $(FILES1) | ${TROFF} -t -ms 2> widg.idx.raw  > widgets.PS
	make index.widgets

should be changed to

widgets: $(FILES1)
	rm -f widg.idx.raw widgets.PS widgets.idx.PS
	tbl $(FILES1) | ${TROFF} -t -ms 2> widg.idx.raw  > widgets.PS
	make TROFF=${TROFF} PRINTER=${PRINTER} index.widgets

Mark Bromley
bromley@think.com

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (03/10/88)

    Date: Thu, 10 Mar 88 00:38:16 EST
    From: bromley@Think.COM

    I recently unpacked the X.V11R2 distribution and found that
    doc/Toolkit/{widgets,usenix}.PS had problems.

I just extracted these files from core.hc on expo, and they are
identical to the files in our source pool.  For reference, the sum for
widgets.PS is 53372, and the sum for usenix.PS is 60188.  Perhaps you
were just bitten by the SunOS 3.4 tcp bug that everyone is complaining
about.  I suggest you try sucking core.hc over again.

vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) (03/12/88)

In article <880310090039.4.RWS@KILLINGTON.LCS.MIT.EDU> RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:
>    I recently unpacked the X.V11R2 distribution and found that
>    doc/Toolkit/{widgets,usenix}.PS had problems.
> Perhaps you
>were just bitten by the SunOS 3.4 tcp bug that everyone is complaining
>about.  I suggest you try sucking core.hc over again.

I don't know, I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same document
(usenix.PC). Could someone take mercy on us and make that paper available
in regular format, so that we don't have to re suck all of core.hc?
Thanks in advance,
vonn

:-):-( || Vonn Marsch || ( vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu ) |||||||| )-:(-:

bromley@THINK.COM (03/13/88)

   Date: Thu, 10 Mar 88 09:00 EST
   From: Robert Scheifler <RWS@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>

       Date: Thu, 10 Mar 88 00:38:16 EST
       From: bromley@Think.COM

       I recently unpacked the X.V11R2 distribution and found that
       doc/Toolkit/{widgets,usenix}.PS had problems.

   I just extracted these files from core.hc on expo, and they are
   identical to the files in our source pool.  For reference, the sum for
   widgets.PS is 53372, and the sum for usenix.PS is 60188.  Perhaps you
   were just bitten by the SunOS 3.4 tcp bug that everyone is complaining
   about.  I suggest you try sucking core.hc over again.

I brought core.hc over again, but usenix.PS still had problems.  It printed out
more this time, but the last half was mangled.  Everything upto and including
page 5 was fine.  Then there was a blank page, except for the page number,
followed by a completely blank page, and then 6 mangled pages.  The last 6 pages
were all offset up 2/3 of a page and slightly to the right, so that only the
lower third of the text was visible at the top of the page.  The order of the
pages also appeared to be reversed wrt previous pages.

awr@tybalt.caltech.edu (Bruce Rossiter) (03/13/88)

>I brought core.hc over again, but usenix.PS still had problems.  It printed out
>more this time, but the last half was mangled.  Everything upto and including
>page 5 was fine.  Then there was a blank page, except for the page number,
>followed by a completely blank page, and then 6 mangled pages.The last 6 pages
>were all offset up 2/3 of a page and slightly to the right, so that only the
>lower third of the text was visible at the top of the page.  The order of the
>pages also appeared to be reversed wrt previous pages.

Same problem here.  Anybody got a working copy we could get?  Or, info on
how to get 'SCRIBE', so I can remake it myself?  Thanks for any help....

                                             -Bruce

--------
"Look out the left, the captain said             :: awr@tybalt.caltech.edu
 The lights down there, that's where we'll land. :: awr@CITJULIE.BITNET
 I saw a falling star burn up                    :: {amdahl,rutgers}!cit-vax!
 Above the Las Vegas sands."     - Joni Mitchell ::    tybalt.caltech.edu!awr