[comp.windows.x] X-11.2 on a Sun

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (03/14/88)

We are having some trouble running X11.2 on our Sun (a Sun3/160)
We modified the font Makefile to use the -p4 flag and compiled and installed
everything. When run from Suntools using 'xinit&', it initialised the screen
drew the cursor and crashed. The problem turned out to be in
mfbChangeWindowAttributes(). It was calling mfbPadPixmap with an argument of
3. Investigation of hp/mfb indicated that there were quite a few missing
case statements in mfbChangeWindowAttributes(). As a first bash at fixing
the problem I copied the hp source for mfbwindow.c across to the ddx/mfb
directory, compiled and installed the Sun server. Of course it was too easy.
It still didn't work, though it got farther. Xterm came up in a window
with a black background and a white 'xterm' prompt. If the cursor was
moved over it, it stayed like an 'X'. It was impossible to type into
the xterm window and it wasn't possible to ctrl-C out of it.

I tried a few other programs - ico and puzzle - these opened white windows
with nothing visible in them. The ico program was drawing, however, but
presumably in white.

I hope this makes sense to somebody. Getting any further on my own would
be difficult as the server now no longer core dumps so I have no idea where
to start looking. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks - Paul

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (03/18/88)

In comp.windows.x (<68@torch.UUCP>), paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) writes:

>When run from Suntools using 'xinit&', it initialised the screen
>drew the cursor and crashed. The problem turned out to be in
>mfbChangeWindowAttributes(). It was calling mfbPadPixmap with an argument of
>3.

Interesting!  I had the same problem the first time I brought up V11R2
on some Suns running SunOS 3.2 here.  It turned out the problem was due to
two different factors.  I'd forgotten to change a couple of things in
server/include/site.h -- fixing the include file and recompiling allowed
things to get further, but some clients were still broken (draw all-black
or all-white windows).  So, remembering the infamous Patch 68 fiasco from
V11R1, I went and recompiled everything on a SunOS 3.4 machine (isn't NFS
wonderful?) and Lo! and Behold! everything worked like a charm.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder