[comp.windows.x] locking the screen under X

jkh@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard) (03/23/88)

That seems like an extremely unwieldy approach, to say the least.
Couple that with the fact that the suntools lockscreen is totally bogus.
Start one up and then whap the "lower window" key (I think it's L5, been
awhile since I used suntools, thankfully) a few times. With some fast
typing, you can almost always find the lockscreen pid and kill it
from an open shelltool window. Creating your own shelltool just takes
a little longer.

Besides, your sun is totally insecure anyway. Someone can boot you single
user or take advantage of the numerous holes in RPC to totally frob
your machine. Not that I mean to start a *debate* on security or anything,
this list is noisy enough already. I think a better solution for locking
your screen is to unplug the keyboard and lock it in your desk. Failing
that, you can probably plug an X application together in 15 minutes
that will do the trick. You could even have it listen to mouse buttons
depressed in a certain sequence rather than have a password.

Anyway, while I'm on trivial topics, has anyone gotten the xlogo screensaver
on the sun server to work? I've tried invoking it with -logo and whatnot
and it still just blanks the screen. The code is surrounded by
#ifndef NOLOGOHACK statements, and NOLOGOHACK isn't defined anywhere I
can see, so I'm curious as to why it doesn't work.

ideas?

					Jordan

caloccia@B.NYSER.NET (03/23/88)

writes:
> ... I think a better solution for locking
> your screen is to unplug the keyboard and lock it in your desk. Failing

	Last Time I managed to unplug a Sun Keyboard from a running Sun,
I recall that it did evil things. (Something like forcing you to reboot
to recover from the error on the keyboard/mouse SI/O interface.)

	But they may have changed the behaviour of the Sun in recent releases.
	(They also make the Keyboard/Mouse plug a screw-in DB15 or something
	 like that, so maybe it's a feature....)

bparent@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Brian Parent) (03/24/88)

In article <8803231522.AA01800@Maple-Leaf.nyser.net> caloccia@B.NYSER.NET writes:

> jkh@violet.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan K. Hubbard)
>writes:
>> ... I think a better solution for locking
>> your screen is to unplug the keyboard and lock it in your desk. Failing
>
>	Last Time I managed to unplug a Sun Keyboard from a running Sun,
>I recall that it did evil things. (Something like forcing you to reboot
>to recover from the error on the keyboard/mouse SI/O interface.)
>
>	But they may have changed the behaviour of the Sun in recent releases.
>	(They also make the Keyboard/Mouse plug a screw-in DB15 or something
>	 like that, so maybe it's a feature....)

According to my "Sun 3/50 Desktop Workstation Hardware Installation Manual"
part #800-1355-05 Revision A of 31 January 1986 pg. 18:

	Attach the keyboard, mouse, ...

	CAUTION: Make sure that you have not connected the workstation to a
		 power source at this point; connecting or disconnecting the
		 keyboard with power on may damage keyboard circuitry.

Perhaps Jordan was implying that you should halt, and power down your Sun
before detaching the keyboard and locking it in your desk.
Sorry for the digression X-folk, I'm redirecting followups to comp.sys.sun.