[comp.windows.x] icons, conventions.

net@TUB.BITNET (Oliver Laumann) (03/24/88)

Are there currently any established conventions regarding the syntax of
command line options of applications running under the X window system?
For instance, how should the position and dimensions of the icon of
an applications be specified, and how should the user indicate that the
application should start up iconified?

I'm currently using the syntax "#geometry" to indicate the dimensions
and position of the icon (xterm does this), where the width and the
height are ignored when the size of the icon is determined by the
program.  In addition, I'm using the option "-i" to indicate that
the program should start up iconified (that is, the "initial_state"
of the window manager hints structure is set to "IconicState").
However, I don't think that the #-syntax is a good idea, as `#' is the
comment character of the C-Shell and Bourne-Shell.

Are the applications in Release 2 using a consistent syntax? (I haven't
got it yet, so I can't look into it myself.)

--
Regards,
    Oliver Laumann, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (03/25/88)

The default option table in the X Toolkit uses '-iconic' to request of
the window manager that the application be started iconified, though this
was inadvertently left out of the Toolkit documentation.

urban@spp2.UUCP (Michael Urban) (03/28/88)

In article <8803241853.AA11973@LYRE.MIT.EDU> swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) writes:
>The default option table in the X Toolkit uses '-iconic' to request of
>the window manager that the application be started iconified, though this
>was inadvertently left out of the Toolkit documentation.

And, as I noted in an earlier message,
it is rather frustrating that the default
option table does not also include an
-icongeometry argument that would let
someone give a hint to the window manager
of where the tool's icon belongs!
--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"