how USENET works here...

From: brl-bmd!wmartin (Will Martin )
Newsgroups: net.news
Title: Missing netnews traffic

If my system is down for some time, or if the machine to which
this host connects in order to receive netnews is either down
or somehow unreachable, is the netnews traffic which was
circulated through that part of USENET during that time forever
lost to me? It seems that I have often seen followup notes to an
original submission which has never appeared. (I don't mean the
normal leapfrogging where you see the answer before the question,
but situations where the answers or replies show up for many
days, but the original item never appears in our local files.)
[Of course, I can never know when it is a followup that doesn't
appear, unless someone else refers to it!]

What traffic is normally made available to a system when it
calls up to get new netnews? Just traffic which has recently
arrived during the past "n" hours at the called site? Everything
which has arrived since the calling machine last called?
Everything on-line at the called site, no matter how old?
(If this latter, it would be inefficient, but nobody would
ever miss anything unless they were off-net for more than two
weeks at a stretch, so I am pretty sure this isn't the case!)

Do the normal netnews extraction/distribution processes only look
for articles somehow characterized as "recent" or "new"?
If so, do the system administrators have the capability to perform
some special version of the netnews routines (after more than a
day or so of separation from the net) which will cause the software
to look for missed articles? Does this require special
coordination between the staff at both the called and calling sites,
or can it be done by action at the calling site alone?

What about news items submitted from the isolated site? Are
they all queued and sent out when a connection is finally made,
or could they be "lost" (that is, not sent out to the net) if
the originating system does not make a net connection for some
period of time after the article is submitted? If so, what is
this critical time period?

I appreciate any explanations or descriptions of the processes
involved which would make this entire operation clear to me.

Regards, Will Martin

***Note added when resubmitting: Maybe because this host has not
been making regular USENET connections, this and other messages I
submitted went into the local newsgroups, but never made it off this
host? That is, were they "lost", as speculated above? Can this
bad situation be rectified somehow? WM ***