[comp.windows.x] debugging with the toolkit

vix@ubvax.UB.Com (Paul Vixie) (04/02/88)

Bad news from my latest experiment:

# X Protocol error detected by server: integer parameter out of range
#   Failed request major op code 1 X_CreateWindow
#   Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
#   ResourceID 0x0 in failed request (if applicable)
#   Serial number of failed request 32
#   Current serial number in output stream 52

This occurs after I've set up all the widgetry and called XtMainLoop(). When
I get these from an XtRealizeWidget() or XtCreateManagedWidget() I can
look hard at the widget I just created.  In this instance I don't quite
know where to look.  So: how do I find out more about this error?  Perhaps
if I can dump out the whole X_CreateWindow message I can find the parameter
that's in error and work back to locating the problem in my code.

I'm going to go peruse the source to see if there's a wizardly debugging
mechanism for this... But even if I find the answer, I thought the question
(and any answers to it) would be generally useful to others.
--
Paul Vixie
Consultant        Work: 408-562-7798    vix@ub.com    vix%ubvax@uunet.uu.net

mao@blipyramid.BLI.COM (Mike Olson) (04/03/88)

In article <6570@ubvax.UB.Com>, vix@ubvax.UB.Com (Paul Vixie) writes:

> Bad news from my latest experiment:
>
> # X Protocol error detected by server: integer parameter out of range
> #   Failed request major op code 1 X_CreateWindow
> #   Serial number of failed request 32
> #   Current serial number in output stream 52

in my experience, this indicates that you've left out one of the twelve
parameters to XCreateWindow().  the server fails to detect the error until
you try to do something complicated (like map it).  it may also be an illegal
value in the XSetWindowAttributes struct.

i have not yet converted to X11R2, but it appears from the above that kudos
are due the implementors.  R1 forced me to grep through .h files to map
magic protocol request numbers to names.  that's apparently no longer true.

					mike olson
					britton lee, inc.
					...!mtxinu!blia!mao
					olson@ucbvax.berkeley.edu