[comp.windows.x] X.V11R2 on sequent

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (03/17/88)

I had intended to post the steps necessary to bring up X.V11R2 on
balance but my previous post works nearly as well.  Unfortunately the
text(?) widget of the toolkit kills the balance C compiler. (a number
of other things kill gcc on sun ...).  I've filed a bug report with
sequent.

Bottom line is use what I gave you before.  If anyone needs it or
other help, mail me.  I have all the necessities up but can't compile
xmore or xman, (doesn't really matter as they constantly dump core on
sun).  We *are* using the new X11 gnu-emacs code (it has a relatively
minor limitation) and I haven't even approached most of the contrib
stuff.

kit@athena.mit.edu (Chris D. Peterson) (03/18/88)

> I have all the necessities up but can't compile xmore or xman, (doesn't
> really matter as they constantly dump core on sun).

I am the author of these programs.  It is quite possible that they do
not compile or run flawlessly on the sun machines, as I wrote them on
a vax and had no Sun to test them on.  If anyone out there would like
to put a bit of work into debugging them on those platforms, I would
be more than willing to give what help I can.

BTW: How do you know they constantly dump core if you cannot compile them. :-)

						Chris Peterson
						Project Athena
						Systems Development

Net:	kit@athena.mit.edu
Phone: (617) 253 - 1326
USMail: MIT - Room E40-342C
	77 Massachusetts Ave.
	Cambridge, MA 02139

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/18/88)

> I have all the necessities up but can't compile xmore or xman, (doesn't
> really matter as they constantly dump core on sun).

They compile and work for me here on a Sun(3/160,3.4) under X11R2.  I
have gotten a core dump when exiting xman, I was going to look into
that, but it doesn't cripple the thing or anything. You also may have
to up a define in xman to accomodate large man directories, but it
just told me that on the stderr.

Under X11R1 it was uncompileable or core dumping or something but that
seems to be mostly fixed now, the problem wasn't the programs
themselves but the X Toolkit which was dying with null pointer derefs
when it tried to init. So actually it's the X Toolkit which has
improved dramatically between releases and the clients came along
for the ride.

I'll guess he's referring to the X11R1 versions, upgrade and ye
shall be saved.

BTW, Chris, *good* job on those, I really like them in the toolkit
now.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (03/21/88)

   From: kit@athena.mit.edu (Chris D. Peterson)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.sequent,comp.windows.x
   Date: 17 Mar 88 21:21:47 GMT

   > I have all the necessities up but can't compile xmore or xman, (doesn't
   > really matter as they constantly dump core on sun).

   I am the author of these programs.  It is quite possible that they do
   not compile or run flawlessly on the sun machines, as I wrote them on
   a vax and had no Sun to test them on.  If anyone out there would like
   to put a bit of work into debugging them on those platforms, I would
   be more than willing to give what help I can.

   BTW: How do you know they constantly dump core if you cannot compile them. :-)

My apologies for the cut.  Its actually a pretty flashy interface even
on sun although the "popup" menus are a real bother.  The new
"dynamic" scrollbars are a lot of fun and quite useful. (Compiles on
sun, dumps frequently, feels like an uninitialized variable although a
null pointer reference might feel the same.  (I'll check it out when I
can recompile -g). Text widget does not compile on sequent, the very
long string constants, (several pages), choke their compiler.)

raj@limbo.ics.uci.EDU (Richard Johnson) (04/02/88)

You can compile the text widget on a Sequent if you take out all of the
extra spaces, etc. in the string that's too long.  It then fits within the
limit.

Richard A. Johnson                          raj@rome.ics.uci.edu   (Internet)
UCI ICS Assistant Technical Manager              ucbvax!ucivax!raj     (UUCP)
Postmaster / Network Services         raj@limbo.ics.uci.edu (via Nameservers)

rich@oxtrap.UUCP ("K. Richard Magill") (04/03/88)

   Date: Fri, 01 Apr 88 17:22:31 -0800
   From: Richard Johnson <umix!ROME.ICS.UCI.EDU!limbo.ics.uci.edu!raj>

   You can compile the text widget on a Sequent if you take out all of the
   extra spaces, etc. in the string that's too long.  It then fits within the
   limit.

Thanks.  Jack Griffith of sequent also informs me that it will compile
if I don't let cpp see it.  That is, the problem is with cpp.