[comp.windows.x] xterm problems on V11R2

jayaram@dgcad.UUCP (Jayaram Kalpathy) (04/01/88)

I have two problems with xterm going from X10 to XV11R2:
i. The -ls option doesn't execute my .login file.
ii. The titlebar is gone.

Any solutions?? Also, could someone explain the change in the format
of the .Xdefaults file. I had to change the xterm.bodyfont line to
an "xterm*font: a14" for it to take, but I'm still unclear on how it
works.

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (04/04/88)

In article <99@dgcad.UUCP> jayaram@dgcad.UUCP writes:
>i. The -ls option doesn't execute my .login file.
Correct.  To fix, find in main.c a list of statements like
	if (term->misc. ...
and add one saying
	if (term->misc.login_shell) login_shell = 1;

>ii. The titlebar is gone.
That's the responsibility of the window manager (e.g., uwm) in X11.
Unfortunately, the particular window manager provided for free (i.e.,
uwm) doesn't do title bars.

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam -- guido@cwi.nl

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (04/05/88)

> I have two problems with xterm going from X10 to XV11R2:
> i. The -ls option doesn't execute my .login file.
> ii. The titlebar is gone.
>
> Any solutions?? Also, could someone explain the change in the format
> of the .Xdefaults file.

The -ls option is a bug (I've included a fix below).  Titlebars went away in
R1; you'll have to run a window manager that provides them (try "wm" or "cwm"
from the MIT distribution, or one of the various ones that are being developed
by various vendors).  I'll send you the recently posted tutorial on using
the Resource Manager separately.

					Jim Fulton
					X Consortium
					MIT Laboratory for Computer Science
					(617) 253-1428
					jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU

The following context diff is for clients/xterm/main.c:

*** /tmp/,RCSt1a03021	Mon Apr  4 16:36:33 1988
--- /tmp/,RCSt2a03021	Mon Apr  4 16:36:35 1988
***************
*** 141,146 ****
--- 141,147 ----
  static char *get_ty;
  static int inhibit;
  static int log_on;
+ static int login_shell;
  static char passedPty[2];	/* name if pty if slave */
  static int loginpty;
  #ifdef TIOCCONS
***************
*** 1258,1264 ****
  		 NTTYDISC : 0;
  		ioctl(0, TIOCSETD, (char *)&ldisc);
  #endif	/* !SYSV */
! 		execlp (ptr, term->misc.login_shell ? shname_minus : shname, 0);
  		fprintf (stderr, "%s: Could not exec %s!\n", xterm_name, ptr);
  		sleep(5);
  		exit(ERROR_EXEC);
--- 1259,1265 ----
  		 NTTYDISC : 0;
  		ioctl(0, TIOCSETD, (char *)&ldisc);
  #endif	/* !SYSV */
! 		execlp (ptr, login_shell ? shname_minus : shname, 0);

vix@ubvax.UB.Com (Paul Vixie) (04/05/88)

In article <465@sering.cwi.nl> guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
# In article <99@dgcad.UUCP> jayaram@dgcad.UUCP writes:
# >ii. The titlebar is gone.
# That's the responsibility of the window manager (e.g., uwm) in X11.
# Unfortunately, the particular window manager provided for free (i.e.,
# uwm) doesn't do title bars.

Since he's in Germany right now, I'll put in a plug for him: Hubbard's heavily
hacked UWM (now called AWM) has title bars and a lot of other stuff too.  Look
for another release in the next month or so.  Don't send me mail about it, I
don't have the latest code.  Don't send him mail either, he's working as fast
as he wants to already :-).

--
Paul Vixie
Consultant        Work: 408-562-7798    vix@ub.com    vix%ubvax@uunet.uu.net

lydia@daisy.UUCP (Lydia Yomtovian) (04/05/88)

In article <465@sering.cwi.nl>, guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
> In article <99@dgcad.UUCP> jayaram@dgcad.UUCP writes:
> >i. The -ls option doesn't execute my .login file.
> Correct.  To fix, find in main.c a list of statements like
> 	if (term->misc. ...
> and add one saying
> 	if (term->misc.login_shell) login_shell = 1;
>
> >ii. The titlebar is gone.
> That's the responsibility of the window manager (e.g., uwm) in X11.
> Unfortunately, the particular window manager provided for free (i.e.,
> uwm) doesn't do title bars.
>
> --Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam -- guido@cwi.nl

That implies that there is uwm (not a free one) that does support
a window titlebar. Who provides such a uwm?

Is any one uses already such a uwm with X11? And if so, does this uwm
recogniz the titlebar as a separate entity from the window? That is,
can the same mouse key be used, on both the window and the titlebar,
but yet perform different function (ex.,popup different menus)???
Has anyone achieved such functionality (geographical recognition of the mouse)
with their window manager using X11?

Any information is welcomed.

--------Lydia Yomtovian--- sun!nsc!daisy!lydia
	Daisy Systems, Mt. View CA

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (04/06/88)

In article <995@daisy.UUCP> lydia@daisy.UUCP (Lydia Yomtovian) writes:
>In article <465@sering.cwi.nl>, guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>> Unfortunately, the particular window manager provided for free (i.e.,
>> uwm) doesn't do title bars.
>
>That implies that there is uwm (not a free one) that does support
>a window titlebar. Who provides such a uwm?

Nope, I think it's "UWM, the free window manager that comes from MIT."  I
understand that HP has a window manager (which they probably provide with
their products) that has title bars and all that stuff.  I assume that
other companies will also offer specialized window managers, since it's one
way to have a distinctive appearance to what is basically a standardized
product.

>Is any one uses already such a uwm with X11? And if so, does this uwm
>recogniz the titlebar as a separate entity from the window? That is,
>can the same mouse key be used, on both the window and the titlebar,
>but yet perform different function (ex.,popup different menus)???

Again, since he's in Berlin right now, I'll answer for Jordan.  The Hubbard
AWM is basically a UWM with title bars and all kinds of (configurable)
little buttons and gadgets in the title bars that let you do resizes and
moves and whatnot by grabbing the appropriate gadget -- sort of like WM.

AWM *has not* been released yet, and won't be for another month or so.
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net