[comp.windows.x] xterm scrollbar width problem

jef@webster.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (04/08/88)

grady@postgres writes:
>     After racking my brain for more than an hour, and poring
>over manuals learning stuff I didn't want to learn, I figured out
>that the xterm scrollbar widget has the width/thickness hardcoded
>into it.
>       It seem like other widgets can deal with different-sized
>scrollbars.  Why can't xterm?

I guess you didn't see my recent message on this subject -- I've appended
it.  I'll send you the diffs, and I repeat my offer to send the diffs to
anyone else who wants them.
---
Jef

- - - - - - - - - -

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 88 16:40:55 PST
From: jef (Jef Poskanzer)
Subject: Re: resource questions
To: pacbell!sun!athena.mit.edu!xpert

After further investigation, it seems that xterm doesn't use the Xaw scrollbar
widget at all.  It implements its own scrollbars, so it's no wonder that my
defaults weren't working.

I've hacked my xterm so that it gets scrollbar widths from a resource, but
I'm not going to send out the diffs because:
  a) I'm probably the only one on the net who wants to change scrollbar widths;
  b) it's the wrong solution -- the right way would be to re-write xterm to
  use the Athena widgets;
  c) the diffs are large - 30709 bytes.
However, if you want the diffs, feel free to send me mail including a valid
Internet address or a valid uucp path relative to ucbvax.
---
Jef

        Jef Poskanzer   pacbell!sybase!jef@Sun.Com   jef@lbl-rtsg.ARPA

grady@postgres.uucp (Steven Grady) (04/08/88)

In article <8804071944.AA09346@webster.sybase.uucp> jef@webster.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>grady@postgres writes:
>>I figured out
>>that the xterm scrollbar widget has the width/thickness hardcoded
>>into it.
>>       It seem like other widgets can deal with different-sized
>>scrollbars.  Why can't xterm?
>
>After further investigation, it seems that xterm doesn't use the Xaw scrollbar
>widget at all.  It implements its own scrollbars, so it's no wonder that my
>defaults weren't working.

That's not true (at least, not in X11R2).  Look in scrollbar.c.
There's a line:

   scrollWidget = XtCreateWidget("scrollbar", scrollbarWidgetClass, ...);

scrollbarWidgetClass is defined by the X Toolkit Widgets
(see <X11/Scroll.h>).  On other words, xterm is using the
Xaw scrollbar widget.  I think.  I can't see any code that
indicates otherwise, anyway.

	Steven
	grady@postgres.berkeley.edu
	...!ucbvax!grady

jef@webster.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (04/09/88)

grady@postgres writes:
>>After further investigation, it seems that xterm doesn't use the Xaw scrollbar
>>widget at all.  It implements its own scrollbars, so it's no wonder that my
>>defaults weren't working.
>
>That's not true (at least, not in X11R2).  Look in scrollbar.c.
>[...]                  On other words, xterm is using the
>Xaw scrollbar widget.  I think.  I can't see any code that
>indicates otherwise, anyway.

Then I guess my patches work by black magic!  Anyway, I'm glad to hear
that this problem is being addressed for V11R3.  It's a minor nit, but
a nit nonetheless.
---