[comp.windows.x] R2 problems

rbd@lamont.Columbia.edu (roger davis) (04/13/88)

Has anyone had any success with Release 2 on Sun high-res monochrome monitors?
(This display is supported, according to the Xsun manual page.)
V11R2 works fine on our network of 3/50s, 3/160Cs and 3/110Cs, but when I did
the installation on a standalone 3/280 with the high-res monitor (running
SunOS 3.2), I got a server that exits mysteriously with no error mesages
about 5 seconds after it's started up. It creates the root pattern (covering
the screen completely, so it seems to know about all those extra pixels) and
the cursor (which tracks any mouse motions made up to the point where it
exits), but no login window.

All executables (e.g., xinit, Xsun and xterm) are in my search path, xterm is
installed setuid root, and the pty devices are all there (suntools and rlogin
work fine). There were no apparent errors recorded in the installation logs.

I have tried to start the server with just about everything from

xinit -n login -geometry 80x8+20+20 -display `hostname`:0 -- Xsun -dev /dev/bwtwo0

all the way down to

xinit -- Xsun,

all with the same unsatisfactory result.

Interestingly enough, we've seen virtually the same problem when attempting this
on our new Roadrunner (Sun's 386 machine). Since (1) we got tons of error diagnostics
from lint, (2) it's a different architecture, and (3) it's running some pre-release
version of SunOS 4.0, I'm quite willing to write that one off for now, but I'd
really like to get the 3/280 high-res server running.

Any ideas?

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/13/88)

In article <490@lamont.Columbia.edu> rbd@lamont.Columbia.edu (roger davis) writes:
>Has anyone had any success with Release 2 on Sun high-res monochrome
>monitors?

Look at XSun(1), "BUG" number 3, regarding having only the correct
special files in /dev for the monitor and frame buffer you have
actually attached.  Our 3/260C displayed the same symptoms as you
describe until I rm'd /dev/bwtwo0 so that it wasn't even available to
be Probe()d.  Hi-res monochrome will likely be subject to the same
auto-configuration constraints.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!att!osu-cis!bob