[comp.windows.x] Andrew ToolKit "fix" uses horrid cpp kludge

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (04/14/88)

jhm+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jim Morris) wrote:
> The DESDTIR is defined kind of weird.  It's in the make files as
> 	-DDESTDIR=\"$(DESTDIR)
> This needs to be terminated by a " whenever it's used but allows and path name
> after the macro.  In code, it appears as
> 	TemplateDir = DESTDIR/lib/templates"
> and so on.

Kind of wierd is an understatement.  This does not work in any ANSI C
compiler, and I can see it breaking many non-ANSI compilers too.
Unterminated string tokens are no fun for any cpp that tokenizes.  I've
had to fix a bunch of programs that tried this trickery; please don't
create another one.

Has anyone tried compiling X11R2 with gcc?  That should determine
what kinds of ANSI C problems it has...
--
{pyramid,pacbell,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu@toad.com
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and